Chapter 42

Time felt as if it had been frozen for Sasuke. The evening past very slow and Mito kept being around every corner he took.
Unfortunately Naruto really did have paperwork to do so he couldn't just hide away and talk to her. She had forbid him from entering her study when he broke in at age twelve. Until now he hadn't cared about going into that dark study.

He was getting dressed from just having a bath when Naruto walked in. If she was surprised that Sasuke had been productive and done everything by himself like a big boy, she didn't show it.
Opening the dark curtains, Naruto opened the window and shook the snow off of the sill.

"We'll be able to get that ring of yours during lunch time. The snow is too fresh for a safe journey right now."
He nodded and finished clipping the buttons on his coat as Naruto shut the window again.
"Do you have a ring in mind? They'll make a customized ring if you have one in mind."
"I do have a ring in mind. I'd been thinking about it all day."
Naruto hummed and flipped through Sasukes papers. "... when'd you begin to care about things like rings and who you'll propose to?"
Sasuke looked at Naruto from putting his boots on. He shrugged. "I guess all that laying in the infirmary bed and looking at the stone walls helped me clear up my mind." He looked at Naruto. "I've found myself doing a lot of things I wouldn't have done before getting kidnapped."
"Like reading?"
"Yes, like reading."
"Good. You think you're healed enough for training?"
Sasuke looked at Naruto confused. "Training? Like the sword?"
"Yeah. I haven't kicked your ass in a while and I need to see what other changes you've gone through while recovery."
"Fine. But I have to warn you I feel more aware of my surroundings so you won't be able to do that sneak attack technique of yours."
"Yeah, I'll test that out thanks."

Sasuke smirked and opened the door for Naruto to go through. He raised an eyebrow when she gave him a weird look.

Sasuke followed her down to the in door training room. It smelt of moisture and sweat. Some would say it wasn't a good combination of smells but they seemed to compliment each other in this case.

He went to grab one of the practice wooden swords but Naruto stopped him.

"If you feel so aware of your surroundings than why not use our actual swords?"
He smirked. "General are you trying to hurt me? I may be a big boy now but you job is to protect me."
"I think if your so confident in your ability since you recovered, than you won't mind getting scratched a bit."
"Oh... and what if I scratch you?"
"You get me to bleed, no matter how small the injury is, and I'll sneak you into the kitchens."
Sasukes eyes glistened from the challenge.
"And what do you get if I don't?"
"You have to stand in front of that target while I throw knives at you."
Sasuke looked at the beaten up target and felt as he gulped reflexively. He turned back to Naruto to see that challenging look fired in her eyes.
"Fine. You have yourself a deal."

The training room was silent as Naruto and Sasuke stood a good few feet from one another. Both had their swords unsheathed and you could see that Naruto easily had the better sword.
The black smith had taken a liking to her ever since her first day. Said there was a spark in her eye that intrigued him.

"Ready your highness?"
"Yeah. I'll take great pleasure in finally beating you."
Naruto chuckled and spun the handle of her sword through her fingers.

With no warning, Naruto charged toward him and the metal clung together. The sound was deafening as it rang all around the room.
Sasuke found it easier to withhold Narutos strong attacks and hit her with just as much strength.

Their feet shuffled as one after the other went on defense than offensive. Sasuke could only describe this in one word; alive. Usually he'd been sweating five minutes into trying to keep up with Naruto but he felt great.
Her movements were so clear to him and his body heat was barely rising enough to make his coat feel a bit warm.