Separation

The induction ceremony is something that is different for all packs but the one thing that remains the same is that the new member is forced to endure the painful act of separation. Separation is the method which the wolf in question is severed from there old bonds and ties so that they become a free agent. The act of the separation itself is done by drinking this awful tasting brew made up of several things the most disgusting of them all is wolfsbane. Wolfsbane is like a poison to werewolves when enough is ingested but in the act of separation it's only enough to weaken our wolf side. 

Once that part is over we are then forced to endure a beating at the hands of the alpha which brings you to the very brink of death. It is only at this brink that we can break the bonds we had to our old pack or mates. Once the bonds are broken the pain of the separation has reached it maximum pain tolerance in the emotional and physical realm. There is still one last hurdle that must be crossed—the wolf in question must then face off the mental battle of possibly turning rogue before they can be bond to the new pack. 

And this all happens before the trials themselves actually take place. So I can understand why Noah was skeptical about the whole ordeal and now that the day of the induction ceremony has arrived I am starting to feel a little more then anxious. I pace back and forth in my bedroom trying to soothe my wolf who is also on edge over the thoughts and imagines going through my head. When the door opens I scarcely notice until someone clears their throat. I turn to see Jane standing there with Christa who gives me a look before she leaves the room and closes the door on us, "It's almost time—we just need to get you dressed properly." She says softly. 

I nod my head as she moves towards me with white material draped over her arm. I look toward it anxiously, "What is that?" 

She holds it up towards me and it looks kind of like a dress if it was backless and almost see-through. I shake my head, "Don't you have something a little more—well more?" 

Jane smirks, "Trust me you will be happy about this decision later. The material is very light and leaves most of your skin exposed—" I realize what she is implying and I run my tongue over my teeth, " You mean cause I'm going to be beaten so badly I'll be glad to not have anything touching me really..." 

She gives me a knowing glance, "That was kind of the idea I had in mind, yes..." I nod my head before I take the scrap of a dress from her, "A thanks is in order I guess then..." I say dryly as I move to the bathroom to get changed. 

"So have you figured out the whole mate thing yet?" I ask her from behind the door as I strip out of my clothes wanting to talk about anything to distract me from what was to come. 

"I—no, I haven't." Jane says with a sigh. 

"What are you so afraid off Jane? And don't say rejection because I don't think that's the real reason." I look at myself in the mirror and pull my hair back in my hands before I start braiding it. 

"It's complicated Scarlett—It's taken me a while to even be this accepted amongst the pack again..." She sounds pained. Feeling satisfied with the braid I move out of the bathroom and find Jane leaning against my bedpost her eyes downcast. I let out a sigh, "What did you do?" I ask in a soft voice. She lifted her gaze to meet mine and I could see all the pain, regret and self-hatred in her eyes. It made my wolf whimper at the sight.