Of Monsters & Men

I sat on the couch in Jane's room for the past several hours trying to think about what could possibly be wrong with Noah. It had been such a confusing situation but it didn't feel as though he was trying to push me away the more I thought about it. It was as if he was trying to protect me from something. As if he had been trying to protect me from himself. I could hear Jane and Christa whispering with each other over by the door where they had been standing most of the I had been in here. 

I think they were afraid I was going to bust out of here and try to get to Noah and while a part of me was tempted I had to admit that even I wasn't that reckless. I had seen the look in his eyes before I had run away from him. His eyes had flashed red for a moment and that had been enough to send my heart into overdrive—my mind had screamed rogue. I peered over at them as they continued to whisper to each other. Jane was talking in very harsh whispers and Christa was wearing an expression that said she wasn't very happy about whatever she was being told. 

I felt my eyes narrow into suspicion, "What are you two whispering about?" Jane's body tenses at my question and Christa keeps her furrowed brows as she looks towards me her lips pursed together in a tight line. Jane spins on her heels to face me the expression on her face being forced int a relaxed position, "It's nothing important." She shrugs but my mind tells me that she is hiding something. 

I opened my mouth to refute her statement but shut it when there was a knock at the door. All of us snapped our heads towards the door completely alert as Jane opened it. A part of me hoped that it would be Noah but I felt my heart sink when Ryder stood in the doorway with a serious expression. His eyes connected with mine, "Would you please come with me Luna?" He asks but I can tell it isn't a request. Dane had told me to stay here until he had returned but it was possible that he sent Ryder to get me. 

Jane and Christa look towards me with tense expressions but I ignore them as I push up off the couch and move towards the door, "Is this about Noah?" 

Ryder says nothing only looks towards Jane and Christa for a moment before addressing me again, "These things are best discussed in private—If you would allow me to escort you..." I purse my lips together but don't ask any further questions as I allow Ryder to lead me from the room. I have a heavy feeling in my chest that whatever I am about to learn is going to be something unpleasant. 

I decided to focus on something else as I was lead through the house. Ryder is clearly the stoic type of person, which is odd to think he is mated with Nadia who is so lively but I suppose I didn't know Ryder that well—who knows what type of man he really is. It took a moment for me to realize that we were headed toward a section of the house I had never been. I wrapped my arms around myself as a strange feeling settled in my stomach. I caught Ryder looking at me out of the corner of his eye for a moment, "Do not worry too much Luna—" He says in a calm tone, "Dane is quite good at making sure no unnecessary harm comes Alpha Noah during these moments..." 

I peer over at him, "Does this happen often?" I whisper. 

Ryder doesn't say anything for a moment and I figured that he was not going to give me an answer, "It's hard to say Alpha Noah keeps many things to himself but after the passing of his late mate—yes. This has happened many times..." He answers honestly. I bite the inside of my cheek as I digest his answer. Would Noah turn back to being a rouge? Did it not matter that we were mates? Was it because I was only a replacement for Claire? My heart seized at these thoughts and I clenched my hand into fists at my side to try and push them away. I didn't want to feel that pain again—I didn't want to face rejection again.