Bonus Chapter: The Beauty and The Beast

I did my best to lick the blackberry juices from fingers, knowing my lips were as stained as my now red fingertips. I had gotten up early with my siblings to pick the wild berries that grew near the edge of our father's territory. It had been getting colder, and soon the frost would kill all the plenty they were currently swollen with. I had made sure we had gathered enough extra for mother to make a couple of pies for the pack.

"Dad is going to be angry once he finds out where we were all morning." Knox commented, "You know he doesn't like us this far out without escorts."

I pushed myself up to my full height, wiping my hands on my dirty jeans. The knees were damp and covered with a layer of dirt from kneeling on the damp earth, "What do you think the extra berries are for? You know mom's blackberry pie is his favorite." I gave him a sly smile as I turned around. I knew how to use my father's weaknesses against him. I'd spent my whole life watching my mother do it to get her way.

"Now, stop standing around and help me...these baskets aren't going to carry themselves." He snorted at me, rolling his eyes as he grumbled under his breath.

Not far off our younger sister let out a high pitched screech, the sound charging the air with hair-raising static. I whirled around to see Clarissa charging out of the tree's towards Knox and I at high speeds. Her red hair flowing behind her like cape as she cast a fearful look back over her shoulder as if she expected something to be hot on her tail. She dove behind me, grabbing hold of my shirt in tight fists as she sought protection.

I reached back, trying to pull her free, "What is the matter with you, Clary?" Knox stepped to my side at the sound of a vicious howl that had my blood running cold.

Clarissa tightened her grip, whimpering behind me like the pup that she was. It didn't matter that she was thirteen now. She was the baby of the family and we all treated her as such, spoiling her more than was probably good for her. I could feel as the world around us slowly shifted. The shadows of the trees growing and stretching closer to us with every breath we breathed. My skin crawled as the sensation of being watched moved over me. I searched the shadows around us, looking for the monsters that I knew were stalking us, just out sight.

My eyes fixated on a shadow the continued to creep closer, until out of the tree line a large male rogue materialized. My mouth went dry at the sight of him, heart dropping down into my stomach. I met his icy blue stare, lips parting in a silent gasp as a shiver worked its way up my spine. This was the moment I had been waiting for since my wolf matured. I had dreamed of all the ways that I would meet my mate and what he would be like, but this possibility had never entered my mind.

My mate was a monster.

I stiffened up, reaching out toward Knox as slowly as possible hoping not tempt the beast before us. I grabbed hold of his hand, giving it a firm squeeze, "Take Clary and run home...tell dad..." I whispered to him under my breath, never tearing my eyes from the male. It didn't matter that the mate bond was screaming at me to go to the beast, or that my wolf was yipping with excitement.

I was beyond terrified, my legs trembling as the creature continued to lumber towards me and my siblings. I forced myself to take a protective step forward and those blue eyes narrowing at my slight movements, lip curling up and showing me razor sharp teeth. Those teeth that had probably killed countless of innocent werewolves. Teeth that would probably be used to kill me.

Knox let out a low growl, "No way, Claire. I'm not leaving you behind..." My brother was coming into his Alpha instincts and I knew he hated being told what to do. He thought he knew everything but he had a long way to go before he would be ready for the title that our dad would eventually hand down to him. I twisted to look at Knox, my senses still aware of the proximity of my mate.