Breathe

By the next day I was fully healed physically but mentally I was still struggling with the absence of my former bonds. It was making me extra irritable and edgy—it was like being locked in an isolation room for weeks on end even though it only had been twelve hours tops. I mean I had been used to the invasion of bonds since I was born so suddenly to be without them was a drastic change of pace. My wolf was the only comfort I had—well and Noah but since I still had to go through the trials we couldn't spend time together like I needed or wanted at the moment because it would be inappropriate. Christa walked quietly beside me as we made our way to the kitchen to get something to eat. 

When we entered the kitchen the room became deadly quiet and about twenty different sets of eyes were staring in my direction. I couldn't help the low growl that rumbled out of my chest. I stomped over the fridge and grabbed a slice of cold pizza tearing into it angrily. I couldn't handle the fact that people thought I was going to turn into a rogue at any second. I had more control than that people, come on!

"What did that pizza ever do to you?" Someone teased and I turned with the pizza hanging half out of my mouth to see Jane standing there. I lost my nasty scowl and pulled the pizza from my mouth, "Oh thank god—" I say before I pull her into a hug. My wolf welcomes the contact and purrs in my head. The physical contact bringing some relief from the isolation I had been dwelling in. Jane petted my back lightly clearly concerned that I might still be healing. I released my hold on her but kept my hand resting on her arm needing the contact. She didn't seem to mind, "How are you feeling?" 

"Like I could kill someone if they so much as look at me in the wrong way." I hear a gasp of someone near by and turn to see a woman ushering herself away from my vicinity. I roll my eyes and Christa chuckles beside me. 

"It was the same way for me—I thought for sure that I was going to go rogue but luckily they don't make you wait to long for the trials." Jane reassures me. I had almost forgotten about the fact that I still had more to do before I was in with the pack. I let out a whine of frustration, "When I'm Luna I am going to see what I can do to make this a more enjoyable process..." Christa and Jane snicker a little at my expense. 

"Oh look who we have here—" A voice chirps and I turn to see Delilah and Gretchen entering the kitchen. My good mood is suddenly lost and the edginess creeps back in, "Looks like someone forgot to put the trash out." I growl under my breath. Delilah looks at me her eyes flashing darker for a moment making it known that she heard my comment.  

"How are you feeling today? A bit roguish?" Delilah teases as she grabs an apple out of the fruit bowl on the counter. She takes a bite out of it with a teasing smile. I have to bite my tongue to keep from lashing out at her, not wanting to give her the satisfaction of another childish response. 

Gretchen stands beside her with a similar look of superiority, "You know perhaps that's what the Alpha sees in her—maybe she remind him of his hay days with all her uncultured behavior." I growl at her words and she makes sure to meet my gaze,"but just remember he's already found his true mate you're just a replacement..." Delilah laughs at her comment and skims her eyes over me, "A poor imitation of a Luna—Come on lets go before she gives us rabies or something." They smirk at each other before they leave the room. 

I feel the burning desire to chase after them and rip them apart. A sudden pain rushes through my chest and I grab at my shirt in surprise. Jane's expression changes to one of concern, "What's wrong Scarlett?" Christa's hand comes to rest on my shoulder as she turns me in her direction so she can assess me better. My wolf is stirring wilding within me aggression and pain beginning to cloud my mind. Another sharp pain rushes through me and I clench my teeth together, "Something's wrong—"