14 | I'll Save Mom

______________

Glory and Gore by Lorde

"Now we're in the ring, and we're coming for blood

"Now we're in the ring, and we're coming for blood."

______________

2046

__________

It was 2044, a few days after their last Christmas together as a family. Y/N stood in the kitchen cutting the rest of the fruit as she watched the TV in the living room.

"It doesn't make sense," Maureen sighed as she watched the TV.

"We had a warning," Judy shrugged.

"We had a few days; we should have had months," Maureen shook her head from her seat on the end of the couch.

Penny looked up from her book, "maybe it was moving too fast," she shrugged from her spot on the corner of the couch.

"That's your theory, Pen? That it was moving too fast," Y/N chuckled as she walked over, putting the bowl of chips and the fruit tray on the coffee table, then sat between Judy and Penny on the couch.

"I didn't say it was a good theory," Penny looked down.

"No, I like it," Y/N smiled as she looked at her baby sister, who smiled back. Y/N then ate a few grapes and looked at her mom, "couldn't radiation from it have blinded our fatalities?"

Maureen let out a breath of air and muted the TV, "I suppose so. Nothing about this has behaved follows any of our models, so..."

Judy raised a brow, "what does that mean?"

"When a NEO of this size breaks through our atmosphere and makes an impact, it..." Maureen turned to face her girls, "it shoots off hundreds of smaller particulates back into the sky. Making smaller meteorites that eventually fall back to earth, but there have been no reports of additional fallout."

All the girls then turned to look at Will from his spot at the small table on the other side of the room when his device started beeping and clicking. Penny sighed, "hey, Will, I love annoying sounds as much as the next girl. But do you think you could turn it down?"

"I'm trying to contact dad," Will sighed, "he's out in the middle of all that. I just want ro make sure he's safe."

"Well, he did say we wouldn't be able to contact him for a while," Y/N sighed, missing her dad even though she saw him a few days ago on Christmas.

"On the phone," Will nodded, "but if he says if I use this and make fast radio bursts, it can reach him no matter where he is. We set up this code," Will played the beeping code, "which means, are you okay? And then he answers back. And that way, we know if he's safe."