31 | Chief Engineer, Over And Out

______________

Half A Man by Dean Lewis

"How can I give you all of me, when I'm only half a man?"

______________

2049
__________

Don stood in the hub of one of the many Jupiters in the Danger System, as most of the parents stood around them, discussing when the systems would be back up for the air conditioning.

He thought about how he hasn't seen the woman he loved for 11 months; he couldn't believe it himself. He thought about all the logs he had made over the months, and how things have changed. Don was only pulled out of his thoughts when Victor called his name, "yeah?"

"After this supply run, do we have everything to make the base operational?"

Don nodded as he looked around the room at the adults, "but I guarantee that the systems will be up and running within 24 hours."

"Including air conditioning?" Victor sighed, "It's hot as hell."

"Stars are hot," Don shrugged as he crossed his arms, "what am I supposed to do?"

"Fortunately, they provide photoelectric interference to hide us from the enemy," Victor nodded, "now that we're hidden, we can finally turn our attention to finding a way back to our children. I know not a second passes we don't think about them. As I understand it, we need one of the robots' engines to get us to Alpha Centauri, and that engine can only be operated by a robot." Victor then looked over at the ginger man that walked in, "John, can you speak to what we're up against?"

"Uh," John stepped forward, "They don't like us, they don't hate us. The only person they've ever seemed to care about is my son, and, uh... he's not here. If they discover us, they'll kill us. If we stay hidden, we'll stay alive. However, we've learned that if we take something that belongs to them, they hit back hard."

Victor raised a brow, "so, how do we take it without getting hit?"

"I don't know," John sighed, "we'd need force, and a plan... If Y/N was here, we'd have both," he walked over to stand beside Don as the other man looked down at the mention of the woman he loved.

"She's protecting our kids," Isabel Azevedo shook het head, speaking up, "I'm not afraid to take these things on. Whatever the risk, it's worth it to get back to my daughter."

"Bravery won't get us very far," John shook his head.

"I was hoping Maureen might be here with us today, share some insight," Victor looked at the Robinson.

John nodded slowly, "you'll have to discuss that with her."

Victor nodded slowly and looked at everyone, "all right, everyone; let's get to work."