21 | Lightning Storm

______________

Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf

"Close your eyes, girl. Look inside, girl. Let the sound take you away."

______________

2047
__________

"Okay," Judy sighed, "so what now?"

"Nothing's changed." Maureen looked at her family as they all stood around the hub table, "we stick to the plan."

"Oh, so getting stuck at the edge of a massive alien waterfall was..." Penny scrunched her bros together, "part of the plan?"

"The lightning storm should start in 97 minutes, give or take." Maureen looked at her communicator, "we need to be ready to spark the engines when that happens. Everybody remembers their assignments?"

"Siphon methane from the air and fill up our tanks," Will nodded.

"Yeah, I got the sails," Judy nodded.

"We'll break down the mast and stow the rigging below," John nodded.

"Leave the lines for me. If we're gonna catch the power from the storm, I need every inch I can get for the kite." Maureen then looked at the mechanic, "Don!"

"Present."

"You know what you're doing?"

"Yes, it just sounds cooler when you say it," he smiled.

"Penny, just makes sure Don has everything he needs to clear us for launch," Maureen nodded.

Will then looked at his mom, "are we not gonna talk about it?"

"What?"

Will raised his brows, "the giant metal trench in the middle of the planet. Something like that doesn't just happen; someone built it. Don't you wanna know who?"

"Of course I do," Maureen sighed, "but right now, we need to focus on the fact that 16 billion joules of energy are about to strike right where we're standing."

Penny raised her hand, "all in favor of finding a new place to stand!" Don raised his hand as John smirked at his daughter.

Y/N chuckled but then pretended to cough when their mom was so serious, "no laughs, huh?" She sighed and looked at Penny, "as long we stay inside the Jupiter, we'll be fine. The ship will act as a Faraday cage, sending the energy around us. Instead of through us." Y/N nodded as everyone went to do their jobs, but she stopped Will, "hey, we'll look into what's down there. I'm curious too."