Chapter 5- Final selection

Third Person:

Urokodaki walked up to Nezuko.

Nezuko: Urokodaki.

Urokodaki: To be honest, I had no intention of sending you to Final Selection.

Nezuko gasps at his words.

Urokodaki: Because I didn't want to see another child die. I was sure you wouldn't be able to cut through this boulder, but...

Urokodaki pats Nezuko's head.

Urokodaki: We'll done Nezuko! Truly remarkable. I'm very proud.

Nezuko starts to tear up surprised. Urokodaki pulls her into a hug.

Urokodaki: Make sure you come back from Final Selection alive. Your brother and I will be be waiting for you.

Urokodaki warms up some food. Nezuko stares surprised.

Nezuko: There's so much food. What's the deal?

Urokodaki: You've finished your training so we're celebrating. Time to eat. Don't be shy.

Nezuko: Thank you I'm starving!

Urokodaki hands Nezuko a bowl and she digs in. Urokodaki looks at her.

Nezuko, he begins to think. I'm afraid there's nothing more I can do for you. After today, you'll be facing unimaginable hardships. Your training pales in comparison. But at least for tonight, you can rest well and sleep soundly one last time.

Once Nezuko finishes, she hands Urokodaki her bowl back.

Nezuko brushes her hair. She doesn't know how to do it so she's attempting to make it look nice.

Urokodaki: Hey, Nezuko...

Nezuko: Yes?

Urokodaki: What did you think of the hot pot?

Nezuko: Great! I haven't feasted like that in a while.

Urokodaki: A growing girl with an appetite like yours will get bigger and stronger the bigger her meals are. The same applies to demons. Remember that. The more humans a demon has eaten, the more powerful he'll be.

Nezuko: So, if they eat a lot, they'll be tough to defeat?

Urokodaki: That's right. They get stronger, physical traits change, and some learn to use strange spells.

Urokodaki opens a cabinet and takes out a fox mask.

Urokodaki: You'll be able to tell how many poor souls they've claimed since you can feel a person's aura.

Urokodaki gives Nezuko a pink and white fox mask.

Nezuko: What's this?

Urokodaki: It is called a "warding mask." It's been enchanted by a protection spell to keep you from harm.

Nezuko: Now it makes sense.

Nezuko gets ready for final selection. She puts on her clothes and looks at Tanjiro who is still asleep. He's been like that for two years.

Nezuko: Tanjiro... I promise, I'm going to come back for you.

Nezuko goes outside and talks to Urokodaki.

Urokodaki: You don't have to worry about your sister. I'll take good care of her for you.

Nezuko: Thanks for everything.

Nezuko gets ready to leave.

Nezuko: I guess I'm off. See you later!

Nezuko waves and Urokodaki waves goodbye back.