Chapter 44- Sanemi

Third Person:

Nezuko: Careful! The train feels like it's about to tip over! Are you all right?

Aoi: Am I alright? You're the one still bleeding!

Nezuko: It's fine. Aoi, protect the passen—

Nezuko falls off.

I can't die. I don't want him to live with his hands stained with blood. I have to live.

Aoi jumps off.

I won't let anyone die!

Nezuko lands on the ground as her body rolls over. Aoi flips over the slanted train.

Aoi: Bustalo! Are you alright?

Aoi has her hands on Nezuko's back and waist.

Aoi: Pull yourself together. You see me bounce off that demon's flesh just now? Wait! What am I saying? You got stabbed, right?

Aoi pulls Nezuko closer to her. She then shook her a bit.

Aoi: How's your stomach?

Nezuko: I'm— I'm alright. What about you?

Aoi: I've never felt better. Not a scratch on me.

Nezuko: I don't... think I can move now. Can you go help the others? See if anyone's hurt. That engineer... is he alright?

...

Aoi: Let him die for all I care!

Nezuko: We can't.

Aoi: Did you somehow forget he's the one who stabbed you in the first place? But if you really wanna know, his leg's shattered and he can't walk anymore. Just let him rot!

Nezuko: Then he's... already suffered enough... don't you think? Help him, Aoi. For me.

Aoi carefully puts Nezuko down.

Aoi: Fine. But only because you asked. You are my underling. It's the least I can do as a leader! And after I've rescued him, I'm gonna pluck out all of his hair!

Nezuko: You really don't have to do that last part.

It's almost dawn. Take control of your breathing. Focus on your thoughts... to save the injured on this train. Think of Tanjiro... Kanao, Ayaki. I'm sure the three of them are safe. You just have to believe.

A piece of the flesh squirms around.

Lower 1: I can't regenerate. Have I lost? Am I going to die? Me? Ridiculous. Absurd! There was so much more to do! I couldn't devour a single human. My plan was to fuse with the train and eat everyone was a complete failure! And now look at what I've been reduced to. After all the preparations I had taken... It was him! This is his fault! Even with all the human hostages I had in my possession, I still wasn't able to get the upper hand. Is this the power of a Hashira? That sun-colored girl was fast, too, while still under the affects of my spell. And then there's him, a demon fighting alongside the Demon Slayers? What treachery is this? Why does Master Kagaya allow her to live? Damn it. Damn it all.

Emmu got closer to Nezuko.

It all started going to hell when that little brat was able to wriggle out of my spell. She's to blame for this! If I had the strength... I would kill her right now. And that beastly boar child, I should have liked her when I had the chance, too. But I was never able to catch her gaze and put her back to sleep. Her instincts were too strong. Have I truly lost? Is this the end? What a terrible, wretched nightmare this is. Am I no different from those other lesser demons who are killed off? The Upper Ranks of our kind have stayed the same for hundreds of years. Even Hashira with high body counts have fallen by their hands.