Chapter 27- Rulebreakers

Third Person:

Nezuko crawled on the ground, trying to reach Tanjiro.

Tanjiro... Tanjiro!

Kaigaku's head fell down.

I'll kill them! I'll kill them! I'll kill those siblings, no matter what! Siblings!

Mama bear: What is it that you want to do, Kaigaku? What do you mean by "family?"

Kaigaku: I don't know. Because I have no memories of when I was human.

Mama bear: Is that why you made us pretend to be your family?

Kaigaku: I thought that if I could feel a family bond, my memories would come back.

Nezuko was on top of Tanjiro, hugging him.

Kaigaku: The bond of a real family...

Kaigaku stared at the Kamados.

That's right. I...

Nezuko: Tanjiro...

Kaiagku stared at three kids who were playing with each other in the snow. They were all throwing snowballs at each other.

Kaigaku wanted to approach them, but instead he grunted and turned around, going inside.

I never had a real family. My parents were dead in who knows where. I was adopted by a blind man who lived in a temple with eight other kids.

We weren't related by blood, so we got along well. The man who raised us treated us all like family.

But one day I disobeyed the rules and didn't come back. While I was in the woods I ran into a demon. It was Master Kagaya.

Kagaya: You poor kid. I'll save you and do us both a favor.

Kaigaku: Please don't kill me! Don't hurt me! Please!

Kagaya: Give me a god reason.

Kaigaku: I-I can get you food! There's a temple in the woods where I live in. There are about Nine people in there... one adult, the rest kids. You can eat them instead of me! Please!

Master Kagaya actually did so. The temple was surrounded by wisteria to keep the demons away. I put out the wisteria and invited Kagaya inside. He killed all of the children, but I'm not so sure about the adult. As an award for my offer, Kagaya turned me into a demon.

I was never satisfied though. I never got the family I wanted. All because of my selfish actions. If I had just let Master kill me, then I'm sure, all of those kids would be alive.

I'm sure that we would all be living in the temple together.

I'm sure we would all have a genuine bond.

Kaigaku's head finally touched the ground. His body was moving as it and his head were burning.

Every single day... I missed my family so much that I could barely stand it. Even after creating a fake family, the emptiness remained. Since I was done with the most power, there was no one who could protect me... Who could shield me. The more boy more powerful I became... The more my human memories faded. And when I was losing sight... Of what it was, I wanted to do.

Kaigaku's body fell next to Tanjiro and Nezuko. He lifted his hand up but his body brought it down.

Seeking a bond that I could never claim for myself. Even though it was simply out of my reach, no matter how I strained to get my hands on it.