Chapter 3 - May 31st, 1998

Paul stole four beers from his dad's pantry and snuck them outside to the park. Thomas skates by and stops when he sees the beers Paul's holding up. 'No way, you really did,' Thomas says surprised. They take a seat on the park bench and start sipping their drinks. 'Didn't your father catch you?' Thomas asks again. 'No,' Paul says with a proud smile.

Even though they have one year of college behind them, they're just two young boys enjoying their life while they are young. And what Paul doesn't know is that Valentine did see him steel the beer, he just let it pass and let his son be a young man.

After two beers drank too fast, the boys are more loose than normal. Thomas searches his pocket and finds a cigarette and a lighter. He lights the cigarette and takes a smoke. 'Do you want some?' He asks Paul. 'I've never done that before,' Paul says doubting. 'You don't have to,' Thomas says and holds back the cigarette. 'No, I want to try it,' Paul says and takes the cigarette. After his first smoke he coughs like he's having an astma attack. 'You okay?' Thomas asks laughing, patting his friend on the back. 'Yeah.'

It starts raining and the boys make their way to Thomas's house. Sookie is to a sleepover at Clara's house and Anna in to an art conference. Once home they make their way upstairs with some Coca Cola Light and chips. 'It's still awesome you have a tv in your room,' Paul says and puts down the snacks. Thomas looks at his best friend, very intensely. How would it be to kiss him? That was all he was thinking. So Thomas steppes a few steps towards his friend, grabs his head and kisses the guy.

Paul doesn't know what to do or think, so he just kisses him back - that seems like the only thing that would make sense. The sound of thunder breaks them apart. 'What was that?' Paul asked surprised. 'Thunder,' Thomas scoffs and looks out the window. 'I didn't mean that,' Paul says and sits on the bed. 'I don't know, I suddenly just wanted to,' Thomas says silently and sits on the other end of the bed. They look at each other, not really knowing what they should do. The alcohol has done his job maybe a little too well.

The storm outside is breaking the silence. 'We should check if all the windows are closed,' Paul finally says. 'Yeah, we should,' Thomas clears his throat. They get up and check each a different room. Thomas goes into his mother room and Paul enters the boho styled room that belongs to Sookie. The window is open and the curtains are dancing in the wind. Paul closes the window and looks around the room. She is so different than Thomas.

Paul walks out of Sookie's room, back into Thomas's. Thomas is changing a shirt, exposing his bare back. The thoughts that go through Paul's mind, got him thinking more. They always had this kind of tension between them and that kiss seemed okay, it didn't feel awkward. 'Tom?' Paul eventually asks. 'Yes?' Thomas turns around to face his friend. 'Will it ruin our friendship if we kissed again?' 'No,' Thomas says. They just smile and make their way to each other. They kiss again and again.