Chapter 19 - December 25th, 2000

'Okay, okay, stop kissing lovebirds and give your best friend a hug,' Maia laughs and spreads her arms. Sookie laugs and hugs her best friend tight. 'I missed you Hanlin,' Maia says and kisses her friend on the cheek. 'Missed you too, Ainsley,' Sookie laughs and boops Maia's nose. They both chuckle. 'Can you believe that in a week, we are in a different century?' Clara asks and hooks her arm in Sookie's. 'No, it's surreal,' Sookie sighs. 'Look at us. Nineteen years old, going on twenty. And still as beautiful.' Maia smiles saying that.

'Okay, who is he and what does he looks like?' Sookie asks surprised. 'I don't know what you are talking about,' Maia shyly says, looking at her boots. 'You were smiling like you are in love with the word beautiful. You smiled like when Taylor Jenkins called you beautiful,' Sookie says. 'You had a crush on Taylor Jenkins?' Clara asks surprised. 'That's not the important question, Clara,' Sookie sighs. 'C'mon, Maia, tell me - us.' Sookie takes her friends hands while begging for more information.

'Okay, okay,' Maia says, sitting down on the couch at the Hanlin's house. 'His name is Mateo Mendoza, he sells coffee on campus and studies history. He's really, really sweet,' Maia says with the biggest smile on her lips. 'Awwww,' Sookie says like she is looking at puppies in the petstore. 'They are all over the place,' Clara laughs. 'You knew?! And didn't tell me?!' Sookie asks her girlfriend suprised. 'Maia wanted to tell you yourself,' Clara says and lays a hand on Sookie's arm. Sookie nods and looks at her best friend. 'Ah! I'm so happy for you!' Sookie shouts and hugs her friend again.

'Soo, hold Ophelia for a second while I freshen up,' Thomas says and hands the little girl to her aunt. 'Oh, hi little O,' Sookie says to her niece in a funny voice. The little girl laughs. 'How long is she staying?' Clara asks. 'Until New Years, then Lucinda will be back form her Holiday,' Sookie says and makes some funny noices. 'It's good that they can co-parent,' Maia nods. 'Yes, indeed. Thomas was talking to Paul yesterday. Apparently Lucinda has a new boyfriend, he's not very kind to Ophelia,' Sookie whispers. 'Oh no,' Maia says in chock.

'How do I look?' Paul asks the girl, twirling so they can see. 'You look good,' Sookie says. 'Yes, you do,' Clara nods. 'Since when do you care?' Maia asks confused. Paul sighs, rolls his eyes and leaves the room. 'Soo Soo!' Ophelia lets out. 'What is it?' Sookie asks kindly. The little girl babbles a few words and Sookie sets the little girl on the ground.

'How is it? With Thomas and Paul living together?' Clara asks. 'Yeah, you never really talk about that, just your annoying roommate,' Maia says. 'I think alright?' 'You think? They are literally your brother and best friend, and you think they are allright?' Clara asks with a raised eyebrow. 'They fight a lot,' Sookie silently says. 'About what?' Maia asks curious. 'Ophelia, Lucinda, school, work, rent, love...' Clara and Maia look at their friend. They want to know more.

'Thomas is sometimes to stressed about the little bumps and coughs and imediatly calls a doctor and or Lucinda. Paul gets annoyed by it because it are the normal baby things and Thomas is too stubborn to understand that. So Paul gets angry that Thomas calls his ex almost every day, which I totally get. And when Ophelia isn't there, Thomas is frustrated because he has to work long hours to pay rent while Paul is at school or studying and doesn't have time for Tom.'

'Didn't Paul work in the cafetaria on campus?' Maia asks. 'He quit, so he could be home with Thomas.' 'They really need to talk things out,' Clara says. 'Yes they do,' Maia agrees. 'Who needs to do what?' Anna asks and puts some snacks on the coffee table. 'Your son and his boyfriend need to talk about their little icks and problems or their relationship is going to fail,' Clara says. 'Oh,' Anna sadly says. 'You really can't keep things for yourself, can you?' Thomas angrily asks in the doorway. 'Hey, your sister is only worried about you,' Anna says. 'She shouldn't be,' Thomas scoffs and leaves the room. 'Dada!' Ophelia shouts.

Later that evening they all sit around the christmas tree, waiting for their presenst form their Secret Santa. 'Oh, this one is for Clara,' Valentine says, handing over a present. The blonde girl opens the in paper wrapped box and smiles. 'A watch! Thank you, Sookie,' Clara says and hugs her girlfriend. 'How did you know it was mine?' Sookie asks surprised. 'Because I never call on the time we agreed on calling,' Clara smiles. 'I think it's so nice that you call your friend everyday, Sookie,' Olivia says warmly. Oh, yeah, Clara's parents don't know that their daughter is dating a girl. They probably wouldn't really allow it, even if it's Sookie. 'Yes, indeed,' Anna laughs nervously. She feels bad lying to her longtime friend.

Maia gets a cellphone - finally - from her father. Paul gets a sweater from Anna, Thomas a new belt from Paul, Sookie gets a set of candles form Levi, Levi gets a new cologne from his wife, Valentine gets a free dinner for two in a fancy restaurant from Ophelia, Ophelia gets a stuffed elephant from Olivia, Olivia gets a set of emerald earrings from her daughter and last but not least Anna gets new paintbrushes from Thomas. 'Oh, I really needed those!' Anna thanks her son and gives him a kiss on the cheek. 'I know. When we drew the names, you literally yelled: "Whoever drew my name, I really need new paintbrushes!", so I listened and you recieved.' Anna laughs happily.

Around midnight, the guests start to leave. 'Mom, can I stay here?' Clara asks her parents. 'No, Clara, you can come back tomorrow,' Olivia says. Clara sighs and says her goodbyes to her friends. 'Dad, can I stay?' Maia asks. 'As long as you help me tomorrow baking cakes, and Anna is alright with it.' 'I don't mind, you can stay as well,' Anna says, sipping from her bourbon. 'Just for a while then,' Valentine says and takes a seat on the comfortable couch. Anna and Valentine start talking about little things, while Sookie and Maia make their way to Sookie's room.

'What are you upset about now?!' Paul shouts in Thomas's room. 'Don't shout, Ophelia is sleeping,' Thomas says. 'Tom, she is in her room downstairs, she can't hear us.' Paul says irritated. Thomas sighs. 'You didn't answer my question?' 'Why do you always have to tell Sookie everything? I know she's your best friend, but she tells about our problems.' 'Tom, I don't have any friends in my classes, she is my only friend nearby. My sister is in another state and my father is really uncomfortable on this subject. I only have one person to talk to about you. And she has a right to be worried and tell your mom!'

'Why?' 'Because you act like a giant baby taking care of another baby. And I am not taking care of two, while studying my ass of for our future!' 'You don't want Ophelia to be there,' Thomas says. 'I did not say that! I love that girl and I love you, but I can't handle you stressing about the smallest, normal things in live. I don't have the courage and energy to handle that and my studies. I freaking stopped working so I could have more time with you. And you know what your reaction was when I told you?'

Thomas shakes his head. 'You said: "Ophelia has a brown dot on her face and I don't know if it's something dangerous or not." I didn't say anything about it then, but now I will. You really hurt my feelings that day. I did something for us and you just completely ignored it over a chocolate chip on your daughter's cheek!' It's silent for a moment. Thomas looks at his feet. Paul stares at his boyfriend. 'You're right, I'm sorry,' Thomas says and takes Paul's hands. 'Thank you for making time for us,' Thomas says and kisses Paul. 'Next time I might say or do something like that, just tell me please.' 'Oh, I will,' Paul says. Tom soflty smiles and gives Paul another kiss. 'I love you.' 'Love you too,' Paul smiles.