Chapter 21 - February 14th, 2001

Valentine sees the introverted Anna take a seat at the counter while he takes a couple's order. 'So one cheeseburger, a Caesar salad and two diet cokes,' Valentine repeats. The couple nods and gives back the menus. Valentine places the order in the kitchen where Howard is cooking. A year ago the other cook quit because he found out his boss's son was dating boys. Valentine handled the kitchen on his own for a while, but then Howard offered to cook, which is going well.

'Anna, what can I get you?' Valentine asks his friend with a smile. 'I don't know,' Anna sighs. 'What's wrong?' Valentine asks worried. 'I don't know either. I'm feeling a little down today,' Anna sighs and looks at her hands. 'It's twenty years ago,' Valentine says. Anna looks her friend in the eye. 'Twenty years ago when everything changed,' Valentine continues. 'That was indeed the last time the six of us sat together before the girls were born and Mary got ill,' Anna silently says. 'I know you miss her, I do too,' Valentine sighs and gently lays a comforting hand on Anna's hand.

'It's also around the time things went sideways between me and Robert. I'm just surprised it lasted another ten years,' Anna says. Valentine abruptly lets go of her hand. 'He is an ass,' Valentine says. Anna looks shocked by his word of choice. 'We all thought it, just were polite enough to not say it,' Valentine says, grabbing a mug. 'So now twenty years later you do?' Anna asks surprised. Valentine nods, a little ashamed. 'Couldn't you have said it twenty years ago?' Anna sighs. Valentine frowns confused.

'He started cheating as soon as he knew I was pregnant with Sookie, I knew from the beginning,' Anna says silently. 'Oh, we didn't know that,' Valentine says. 'I loved him, I really did. So every time I said something about it, he found the right words and made me change my mind. Love is blind, it is,' Anna says. 'And if we told you he was an ass earlier, you would've ended things sooner?' Valentine asks, pouring the coffee. 'Probably yes. I would've believed every single one of you if you said that, because I do love my friends and I know they love me too,' Anna says.

'I know it's Valentine's Day, but no need to be this sentimental,' Valentine smiles. 'Just admit that you love us too,' Anna laughs. 'Okay, I love you,' Valentine smiles with a blush on his cheeks. Anna notices his cheeks and smiles softly. 'You should start dating,' Anna says. 'What?' Valentine asks surprised. 'Don't you miss a woman?' Anna asks. 'I have you,' Valentine says. Anna smiles softly. 'I mean a woman you share a romantic relationship with.' 'I don't need one. I'm happy with my life the way it is right now. My children are starting to be happy again after Mary, my best friends are always there for me, people love the diner, I'm a cat dad, I am happy.' 'Cat dad?' 'Nacho is my company when the kids are gone. I was thinking of adopting another one.' Valentine says. 'I'm happy you're happy, Val,' Anna says. Valentine smiles and brings the cheeseburger and salad to the couple.

'You should start dating too,' Valentine says when he's back at the counter. Anna laughs. 'No.' 'Why not?' Valentina asks with a raised eyebrow. 'I don't have the time, I'm always travelling for my art. An I finally can because the children are out of the house.' 'But you do miss a man,' Valentine says and pours Anna a cup of coffee. 'Sometimes, yes,' Anna admits.

'Howard is single,' Valentine says with a mischievous smile. 'You are not setting me up with your best friend!' Anna says in shock. 'Oh, I am,' Valentine says and goes to the kitchen door. 'Hey, Howard!' 'Yes, Val?' Howard asks as he walks out of the kitchen. 'Well, would you like-' 'Don't you dare Valentine!' Anna angrily says. Valentine is a bit scared by Anna's tone. 'Would you like to take a break and drink a coffee,' Valentine says after looking away from the irritated woman.

'Oh, I'm fine, thank you,' Howard says. He smiles at Anna and then enters te kitchen again. 'I am so not okay by how you wanted to ask Howard on a date with me!' Anna angrily says. 'What's the problem? He's nice, he likes you, you like him.' 'I love someone else!' Anna lets out and stands up. 'Really?' Valentine asks. 'Yes, but he doesn't see that and the situation is too complicated,' Anna silently says. 'Then he is a stupid man,' Valentine scoffs. 'That's not a nice way to talk about yourself,' Anna says and leaves Valentine speechless as she leaves the diner.