Chapter 26 - July 6th, 2001

Sookie nervously walks on the Mason's porch. There has to be a reason why. There has to be a reason her girlfriend stopped calling, stopped texting, stopped talking to her. Yesterday Clara didn't say a word to Sookie. She rings the doorbell and nervously bites her nails. Mr. Mason opens the door. 'Hi, Sookie. What can I do for you?' Mr. Mason smiles. 'Hi, Levi. Is Clara home?' 'Yes. She is in her room getting ready. Come on in!' 'Thanks,' Sookie smiles at Mr. Mason. 'You can go upstairs if you want,' Levi says when Sookie is glued to the floor. 'Oh, sure, thanks.' 'You're welcome,' Mr. Mason smiles and goes to the kitchen.

Sookie carefully walks up the stairs. Once she's in front of Clara's room, she knocks three times. Clara opens it with a sigh. 'Mom, I'm not going to Gra-' She says as she opens te door. 'Sookie.' Clara says surprised. 'Can we talk?' Sookie asks. 'Why? Is something wrong?' 'Is something wrong?! Have you not been on this planet? Have you not been in this relationship? You stopped calling, stopped texting and stopped talking to me. And I want to know why!' Sookie's frustration of the past months is leaving with her words.

Clara face falls. 'I was hoping you didn't notice,' she says. 'That's bullshit Clara! I'm your freaking girlfriend!' Sookie shouts. 'Sshh!' Clara says and pulls Sookie into her room. 'You can't yell that in a christian household!' 'They are fine with Thomas and Paul.' 'They are not their daughter,' Clara mutters angrily. 'That's still no reason for you behaviour.' Sookie says and crosses her arms. 'It kind off is,' Clara says taking a seat on her bed.

Sookie frowns. 'You called when my parents were visiting. They overheard us talking.' 'So, we are talking now?' 'Soo, they heard us saying "I love you" and the intimate words,' Clara says, plucking her fingers. 'What did they say? Because your father was awfully friendly letting me into his so called christian household.' 'They didn't. They just looked at me in disgust.' Sookie nods, but can tell her girlfriend is lying.

'I think we should break up,' Clara finally says like it's nothing important. 'Because of your parents?' 'Yes,' Clara clearly lies. Sookie nods again, crossing her arms and leaning against the cupboard closet behind her. 'Aren't you going to say anything?' Clara asks after a moment of silence. 'What is there to say? You are clearly lying, not telling the truth at all. I don't argue with a liar, that's no point. I just think you could've broken up with me months ago if you wanted to and not let me suffer in my own mind. You could've treated me better, I know that sounds selfish, but it's true.'

'I'm not lying, Soo.' Clara says offended whilde plucking her fingers. 'Yes, you are. You are plucking your fingers, you do that when you lie. I've known you forever, I can tell!' 'Come on Soo, don't be mad at me. You weren't the best girlfriend either.' 'I wasn't? Well, I'm not perfect, but I did my best. I was the one who took initiative to talk to each other, I did my very damn best.' Clara just sits on her bed frozen, not sure what to say.

'Well, have a happy live. You won't be seeing me or hear from me. And make sure Maia doens't kill you, because she will,' Sookie says heading towards the door.  'Why would she kill me?' Clara asks confused. 'August 31st 2000, you promised to never hurt me or Maia would kill you. And you did hurt me Clara.' 'That's not true,' Clara denies. 'Don't be stupid Clara, you did hurt me.' Sookie leaves without looking back. Maia would never kill her, Sookie will make sure of that.

Fifteen minutes later Sookie knocks on Maia's bedroom door. 'Not now!' Maia shouts back. Sookie knocks again, very loud this time. Maia mutters and opens the door with a sigh. 'Jeez, since when do you knock?' Maia asks surprised to see Sookie. 'Since you have a boyfriend?' 'Is that a question or not?' Mateo asks offended. 'Hi,' Sookie says, 'I never knock, so I don't know since when.' Mateo nods understandingly. 'Glad you knocked.' Maia says with a little blush on her cheeks.

'So why did you knock so loudly on my door?' Maia asks. 'I broke up with Clara,' Sookie lies. Clara broke up with her, not Sookie. 'Oh, my. Are you okay?' Maia asks worried. 'Yes, it was already a little over, so I'm fine,' Sookie says, forcing a smile on her face. 'Okay. You are sure I don't need to kill her?' Maia seriously jokes. 'No, just keep being her friend. She has done nothing to you. She'll probably be surprised when you talk to her now, but just say you understand and everything will be fine.' 'Okay, if you're sure, you're sure.'

'I have to go now,' Sookie says and quickly hugs her friend. 'Bye, Mateo,' Sookie says leaving. A little bye from the boy echoes into the hallway. Sookie walks back into the diner. 'Sookie, I'm wearing the duck apron!' Valentine says with a big smile. 'You look great, Val! Just think of an animal you want next year and its done!' Sookie says and gives Valentine a smile. 'I will,' Valentine smiles.

Valentine has always been a father figure to Sookie and Thomas. He was more around than their actual dad. Val made chicken soup for when they were sick. He had Sookie and Thomas over at his house when Anna and Robert where fighting or when they already were seperated and Anna had to travel for her art. He was the dad when they needed one, but he was too close with them to understand. Sookie will miss him.