Chapter 53 - May 14th, 2004

'Here are your burgers,' Sookie says and puts down the plates in front of Clara and Caleb. 'Sookie! Why are you working? It's your birthday and you are seven months pregnant!' Clara says surprised. 'Because I need the money,' Sookie says coldly. 'Enjoy your meal.' Sookie goes back behind the counter and takes a seat on the chair Valentine put there for her. Valentine walks by and gives her a glass of water. 'Stay hydrated, young lady,' he says and goes to the other costumers.

Sookie takes a sip from her water as Howard exits the kitchen. 'You can go home if you want to,' he gently says. 'Thanks, but I'm fine,' Sookie smiles. 'Okay,' Howard smiles back. Sookie always knew the man, but now that he and her mom are together, she sees how kind and perfect he is for her mother.

The little bell on the door rings. Two familiar faces walk into the diner. Sookie stands up, surprised to see the two guests. 'Sookie!' Adrian shouts happily and runs to his sister. He stops abruptly in front of her belly. 'Can I give you a hug?' he asks looking confused at her belly. 'Of course, you can, little man,' Sookie laughs and hugs her brother. 'Hi, dad,' she than says and hugs her father.

Valentine joins the Athanasiou's. 'Robert, long time no see,' he says a little coldly, but he tries to be friendly. 'Valentine,' Robert greets his old friend. 'Go sit,' Valentine says and points at an empty table. The three of them take a seat. 'I didn't know you were coming,' Sookie smiles. 'It's a birthday surprise,' Adrain says happily. 'I'm glad you are here,' Sookie says and nods thankful to her father.

'But little man, don't you have to be in school?' Sookie asks her younger brother. 'As far as they are concerned, I have the flu,' Adrian says. 'Oh sneaky,' Sookie says surprised. Robert smiles sadly at his daughter. 'Papa, I know you haven't heard from him. I haven't either. Each day I hope he walks in here,' Sookie sighs. 'Are you ready?' Robert asks and nods at her stomach. 'I have mom, Valentine, Maia, Mateo, Howard. I even have Clara to help me,' Sookie says. 'Okay,' Robert says and squeezes Sookie's hand.

'Where are you two staying?' Sookie asks after a moment. 'Actually, your mom invited us,' Robert says. 'Oh! So, you are staying with us?' Sookie asks surprised, but happy. Robert nods. 'Give me two minutes, and I'll come with you. I'm a little tired to be honest,' Sookie says. 'I knew it!' Valentine shouts from behind the counter. Sookie rolls her eyes and hangs the apron away before she takes her stuff. 'Happy birthday,' Clara says to Sookie before she leaves. 'Thanks.'

Once the Athanasiou's are outside Robert wants to call a taxi. 'Nonsense, dad, I'll walk. You just have to walk slowly,' Sookie says and starts walking. 'Sookie?' 'Yes, Adrian?' 'How long is your belly going to stay that way?' Sookie laughs. 'For another two months.' 'And what then?' Adrian asks. Sookie looks at her father. 'Don't you talk to your son? He's almost thirteen.' 'He never asked,' Robert shrugs. Sookie turns to Adrian. 'Then you will be an uncle of a little baby girl.' 'It's a girl?' Adrian asks full of enthusiasm. Sookie nods.

Once they arrive at Anna's house. Sookie unlocks the front door. 'Mom, I'm home!' Sookie shouts. 'That's early,' Anna says and walks out of her painting room. 'Did you find your guests?' Anna asks. 'I did,' Sookie smiles and hugs her mother. 'Thank you for inviting them.' Anna smiles. 'I have prepared Thomas's room for Adrian and the guest room for you, Robert,' Anna says. 'That's great, thank you.'

They make their ways to the living room. 'Thomas is coming by later, he doesn't know you are here,' Anna says as casually as possible. 'Oh, okay,' Robert says. 'I thought it was time you two talked and that you met your granddaughter and son-in-law,' Anna says. 'I think so too,' Robert nods. Adrian has a big smile. Although he and Thomas never really got along, he always looked up to him, unlike his mother's other children.

'So, Adrian. How is your mom?' Anna asks. 'Married to her fifth husband,' Adrians says a little awkward. 'Oh, I'm sorry I asked,' Anna says sensing the little man's feelings. 'It's okay. She wasn't a good mom, so I don't really know a lot about her,' Adrian says. 'But papa is really great!' he smiles and hugs his father. 'And Alexei is too, and Sookie,' Adrian goes on.

The front door opens again. 'Auntie Soo! I made a drawing for you!' Ophelia comes running in. 'I'm in the living room!' Sookie yells back. The girl runs into the living room, ignoring the guests. 'Look! That's you and that's me and that's Daddy and that's Papa and that's Granny and that's auntie Maia and tío Mateo and that's Popop and Nacho and Donut,' Ophelia points at the people she drew. 'Wow, that's really beautiful. Well done little O,' Sookie says and hugs her niece.

Ophelia turns around to the guests. 'Who are they?' 'That's your grandfather and that's your half uncle. Which means he has a different mother than your father and I,' Sookie explains. Ophelia goes to her grandfather and uncle and starts talking to them. 'I have to make a new drawing with you in them,' she says.

Paul and Thomas walk into the house. 'Sorry, car was acting weird,' Thomas says. 'Oh, that's just the excuse for you two making out,' Anna laughs. Paul blushes and laughs it away as he takes a seat next to Sookie. He knew Robert was visiting, he wasn't allowed to tell Tom. 'Father, Adrian,' Thomas greets them coldly. 'Thomas!' Adrian says happily and stands up to hug his big brother. Thomas hums shocked as the young teen gives him a hug.

'What are you doing here?' Thomas asks his father. 'They're here for my birthday,' Sookie smiles. When Thomas sees the happy smile his sister has, he relaxes. 'Okay then,' Tom says and takes a seat in the single chair. 'Ophelia, why don't you give your auntie the present we brought?' Paul asks as he shows the present he had hidden behind his back. The little girl runs back to her father and takes the present and gives it to her aunt.

'Thank you,' Sookie says and takes the present. She opens it curiously. 'Oh, wow! That's beautiful,' Sookie says in awe, looking at the little tiffany lamp. 'Paul found it,' Thomas smiles. 'It's really beautiful!' Sookie says happily. 'Thank you!' 'I have a present too!' Adrian says. They all look at him, a little surprised. Adrian takes a piece of paper out of his pocket and gives it to his sister.

Sookie opens the piece of paper and starts crying. 'Oh, Adrian. Thank you!' Sookie cries. 'I took it when you two had to watch me for a day, when father and Alexei were out of town,' Adrian smiles. Sookie looks with tears at the picture of her and Erik. 'It's the only one I have,' Sookie says a little relieved. Paul looks at the picture. 'Is that him?' Sookie nods. 'He seems very much in love with you,' Paul says and comforts his friend.