Chapter 38 - November 20th, 1996

'Mom, I don't want a birthday party! Everyone is going to laugh at me,' Thomas mutters. 'Young man, a week ago you were planning the whole thing yourself. You are having a birthday party. And it's only Paul, your sister and her friends and those boys you went skating with for the last year,' Anna says with her irritated mother voice. 'Ughr,' Thomas says and slams his bedroom door shut.

'I can go somewhere else with Maia and Clara,' Sookie silently says while eating a cupcake. 'No, your brother wanted you here, honey,' Anna says and takes the cupcake out of Sookie's hand. 'These are for later.' Sookie pouts and then hugs her mom. 'You are the best!' she says. 'Oh honey, you are too,' Anna says and hugs her mother. 'Thomas is a jerk,' Sookie mutters. 'Soo, mind your words,' Anna sighs.

Later that evening the guests arrive. 'Thomas, they are here!' Anna shouts up the stairs. 'Hey,' Oliver says to Sookie when he enters after the rest of the skater boys. 'Hi,' Sookie smiles. The girls turn to each other. 'He so likes you!' Maia says. 'Yeah, he does!' Clara agrees. 'I don't know, he's ... not so good,' Sookie sighs. 'What do you mean?' Clara asks with a frown. 'Illegal stuff,' Sookie whispers. 'How'd you know?' Maia scoffs. 'Saw him after school once,' Sookie silently says.