Chapter 27 - April 19th, 2001

'Ophelia made the cutest drawing yesterday,' Paul says while searching for his book. 'It's not a drawing, Paul. It's just lines and weird shapes that aren't shapes,' Sookie sighs. 'Okay, okay. But still, it was cute. It's hanging on our fridge. You could see it if you came over?' Paul suggests. 'I'm not coming over, I have to study,' Sookie says and put her backpack on her shoulder. 'Oh, come one, Hanlin. You haven't been over since January. Thomas misses you!' 'No, you miss me,' Sookie says and gives Paul a side eye. 'True, but Tom misses you too.'

They walk around on the campus grounds, on their way to their classes. 'I'll see you later then. And please come over,' Paul says and kisses Sookie goodbye on the cheeck. 'Bye,' Sookie whispers. She wanders off to her building.

'Sookie? Sookie Hanlin?' a voice calls out. Her body freezes in her step, afraid to turn around and face the person. 'Are you okay?' the voice laughs and walks around her to talk to her. 'Go away, Oliver,' Sookie finally says. 'Hey, hey. No need to be so snarky. I was being polite,' Oliver says offended. 'Move or I will scratch your eyeballs out!' Sookie screams at him. 'Jeez, Sookie, why so mad? It's been years since we broke up,' Oliver scoffs. 'Yeah, it's been years since the reason we broke up!' Sookie says back and wants to walk past him.

'What reason? You just broke up with me out of nothing.' 'What reason?! What reason?! You fucking raped me, Oliver!' Sookie screams at the young man, almost crying with her words. It's like Mount Rose College fell completely silent. 'I didn't ... I didn't ... You wanted to!' Oliver yells in defence. Sookie starts crying. 'It was not my fault, Oliver!' she says angrily between her teeth. 'You intoxicate me! You abused me! You left me bleeding! The hell I would have wanted that! It would have been my first time! You should be in prison!'

Oliver is silenced by the silence Sookie's words left hanging in the air. 'Young man, you are arrested for abuse of this young woman. You can remain silent until you're speaking with your lawyer,' a female police officer says coming out of nowhere. She cuffs Oliver and takes him away. Sookie starts crying in relieve. A campus security person walks up to her. 'Miss, if you want to talk to someone, there are services on campus capable of helping you. If there's anything you want of your chest, you can go talk to them. They will help and support you,' the young man says. 'Thank you,' Sookie says, smiles, nods and leaves. She could've never dreamed or hoped for this to happen.