Chapter 6 - July 15th, 1999

The girls are all packed and set for their trip to Europe. A backpacking trip with a lot of public transport. 'Bye, mom. Thanks for driving us,' Clara says to her mom. 'Anytime,' Olivia Mason says not so sure about this whole trip. 'Be safe, the three of you,' she says and gives Maia and Sookie a hug also. 'We will,' Sookie smiles.

They make their way through the airport until they are on the plane. 'I'm so happy we are doing this,' Clara smiles. If it was with other people, she wouldn't be allowed to do this. 'We were only talking about it for the last eight years,' Sookie says and looks out the little window. Maia wraps an arm around her friends. 'We should take a picture,' she says and holds out her Canon EOS-3. She got it for her birthday last year. 'Okay, smile.' They smile into the camera.

Nine hours and a half later they land in Athens. Anna made them land there so Sookie could see her father. Not that he would be home. 'Okay, this way,' Sookie says and leads the way through the airport she was twice every summer since she was ten. 'I can't believe my parents let me do this!' Clara says as they walk to the exit. 'I'm so happy to be away from my brother for once!' Sookie smiles at them and then looks at the ground, a little nervous. 'I hope my dad didn't forget us.'

Once in a taxi, Maia and Clara fall asleep. Sookie smiles at Clara leaning against her. They never talked about what happened at New Years Eve. Sookie thinks Clara doesn't remember. But what Sookie doesn't know is that Clara remembers everything, she is just afraid Sookie doesn't because she hasn't talked about it. Clara's eyes suddenly open when the driver honks. Sookie looks away and Clara smiles because she saw that she was looking at her.

One hour later, they reach Sookie's dad's house. 'I hope he's home,' Sookie sighs when she gets out of the taxi. She called him a week ago to tell him they're staying for one night. Robert said that it was okay. Now she thinks he forgot. 'Do you want me to ring the bell?' Maia asks as Sookie just stands still in front of the house. 'No, I'll do it,' she says and presses the button next to the door.

The door opens after a few minutes. 'Susan, I didn't know you were coming this summer?' The stepmother asks surprised. 'I called father last week, he said it was okay,' Sookie says. 'I'll call him, he's not home.' The stepmother gestures that they can come inside while she walks to the phone. She enters the number and holds to phone to her ear. 'Honey, Susan you daughter is here with friends. She said she called.' 'Her name is Sookie,' Maia says. The stepmother just looks at her with a stupid face and hangs up the phone. 'Apparently the guest room has been prepared,' the stepmother says. 'You'll find your way.' She then walks away.

Clara and Maia see the disappointment in Sookie's eyes. 'Maybe we should rest a little?' Clara suggests carefully. 'Yeah, that's not a bad idea,' Maia nods. 'Sure,' Sookie says and leads the way to the guest bedroom in the enormous house. On the second floor, they enter a room with two queen size beds and a bathroom. 'It looks like a five star hotel room,' Maia says in awe. Sookie hums.

'Who's going to share a bed with whom?' Sookie asks looking at her friends. Clara shoots her shot. 'I don't mind sharing with you.' 'Awesome! I have a huge bed for my own!' Maia says and jumps on the right bed. Clara and Sookie share a smile and jump on the left bed. 'Oh man, I want a bed like this,' Maia mumbles. 'Me too,' Clara sighs happily. 'If we lived a city further, I would've suggested that we steel them,' Sookie says and looks at the chandelier above the bed.

The girls leave their room after resting for a few hours so they can see what they should eat for dinner. 'Sookie,' suddenly a voice says. The girls turn around to see Mr. Robert Athanasiou. 'Papa,' Sookie says and walks toward her father so she can give him a kiss on the cheek. 'Where are you going?' He asks. 'Out for dinner,' Maia answers instead. 'You can eat here, there will be enough,' Mr. Athanasiou says. 'Thank you,' Clara says.

The four of them make their way to the dining room. The stepmother, the three stepsiblings, the little half brother and the father take a seat at the table. 'I didn't know they would join us for dinner,' the stepmother says. 'There's food enough,' Robert says and gestures that the three girls can take a seat.

'Sookie, how is your brother? I haven't heard from him since Christmas.' 'I don't know, he is gone all the time,' Sookie answers and stabs a pea with her fork. 'Oh, he shouldn't,' Robert says disappointed. 'He probably learned from the best,' Sookie hisses and looks at her father. 'Don't talk to your father like that Susan,' the stepmother says. 'My name is SOOKIE! Jesus, woman, you know me five years and have never said my name right.' The table falls silent. Clara and Maia look at each other, confused by the outburst that went form English to Greek.

'Maybe we should leave?' Clara carefully says. 'No, you don't have too. Sookie is right. Honey, her name is Sookie not Susan. Sookie, I know I have been distant. But mostly because I thought you and your brother hated me.' 'I don't hate you. Idislike you because you talk more to your stepchildren than your actual children. A phone call twice a week is the bare minimum and you can't even do that.' Robert looks at his plate, ashamed for his behaviour.

'Maybe you should leave,' the stepmother says. 'Oh please, Vanessa, stay out of this conversation. You are the whole reason why this is the situation we are in now.' Sookie sounds angry. 'Sookie, leave the room,' Robert raises his voice. 'Fine!' She drops her cutlery and stands up. 'You know what? I understand why Thomas does hate you, I really do. And I am happy I use my mother's last name and not yours! We'll be gone tomorrow.' Sookie leaves with her friends.

'Are you okay?' Clara asks. 'I don't know why I made a scene out of it,' Sookie sighs and sits on the bed. 'I think all the anger you've build inside you had to come out,' Clara says and lays a hand on Sookie's shoulder. 'I agree with Clara,' Maia says. 'Before the divorce you got along really well, until you became angry with him and your stepmother,' Clara says. Maia nods in agreement. 'I'll apologise to him tomorrow,' Sookie says.

'If you two don't mind, I'm gonna take a shower,' Maia says, takes some stuff and goes to the bathroom. 'Soo, can I ask you something?' Clara asks and takes Sookie's hand. 'Anything,' Sookie smiles. 'I know it's seven months ago, but do you remember New Ye-' 'I remember,' Sookie interrupts her friend. 'You do?' Clara asks surprised. 'Yes, why wouldn't I?' 'You never said anything about it afterwards,' Clara says and looks at their hands. Sookie laces their fingers. 'I thought you forgot,' Sookie whispers. 'I would never forget that,' Clara says and looks her friend in the eye.

They both look at the locked bathroom door and then back at each other. 'Why did we take so long to talk about it?' Sookie asks with a crooked smile. 'Because we don't have much time left where we can talk about it,' Clara says sadly. Just a little over a month left until they are in different states. 'We can call and write? If you want to?' Sookie carefully suggests. 'Maia will be suspicious when you'll call me more than her,' Clara smiles. 'But yes, I want that,' Clara continues her answer. Sookie smiles and leans closer to Clara. 'Does that makes us more than friends?' She asks. 'Definitely,' Clara smiles and leans in so she can kiss her more-than-a-friend.