Chapter 58 - March 14th, 1998

'Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Clara, happy birthday to you!' Sookie and Maia sing together. 'Thank you,' Clara smiles and gives her friends a big hug. 'We got you presents!' 'How could you even afford?' Clara asks confused looking at the presents. 'I saved money from when I worked at the diner,' Maia says. 'And I made little landscape paintings and sold them around Christmas,' Sookie smiling at her friend.

'C'mon, open them!' Maia says and gives a present to her friend. Clara opens it with a smile. 'Oh, a gift card for the bookstore!' Clara says happily. 'Thank you, guys!' 'Now open this one!' Sookie says and gives her friend the second present. Clara curiously opens the present. 'Oh, Sookie, that's beautiful!' Clara says looking at the painting Sookie painted. 'It's us three,' Sookie clarifies. 'I knew that' Clara laughs and shows the painting to Maia as she curiously looks at the present.

'This one is from us both!' Sookie says as Maia and her both. Clara opens the present, then the envelope. She takes out the tickets in surprise. 'We're going to the Spice Girls!' Maia and Sookie shout happily. 'OMG! Thank you!' Clara hugs her friends. 'They're coming to New York July first.' 'I can't believe you got us tickets!' Clara says still in disbelieve.

'Okay, girls. I got pizza bagels, mini hamburgers, wraps with chicken and some fruits,' Valentine says as he walks in Maia's room. 'Thanks dad!' 'Enjoy,' Valentine smiles and leave the room. Maia takes a pizza bagel and smiles. 'Clara, I know it's not my birthday, but I think this is the best birthday any of us has had,' Maia says and looks at her friends. 'I think so too,' Sookie nods. 'Aw, I love you guys,' Clara says and hugs both of her friends, causing them to fall over on the bed.

They start laughing and hug each other. 'I can't believe we are going to the Spice Girls,' Clara says still processing the news. 'You still have a few months to process that you are going to your favourite band,' Sookie says. Clara smiles and hugs her friends more.

The three of them eat their food, talk and eventually they fall asleep with the Spice Girls playing in the background. Paul walks by his sister's room and notices that they are asleep. He quietly turns of the lights and closes the door. He goes to his room and lies on his bed. 'Don't you mind me being here too?' Thomas asks looking at his friend from the matrass on the ground. 'No, why would I? You are my best friend,' Paul says. 'Right,' Thomas says looking at his hands, blushing.

'What's wrong with you?' Paul asks confused. 'Nothing, why?' Thomas tries to hide whatever emotion he's feeling. 'Your head is all red,' Paul laughs. 'Oh, I had a piece of bagel stuck in my throat,' Thomas lies. Paul laughs. 'You idiot.' 'Yeah, guess I am. Good night,' Thomas says and turns his back to his friend. Why is his laugh so beautiful?