Chapter 60 - December 2nd, 2006

Clara thought a lot about what Sookie said about her sexuality. And she has to admit that Sookie is right. Clara is a lesbian and has been too scared to come out. She indeed has liked girls all her life. She did love Caleb, but not as she's supposed to. There are no sparks. When she sees girls and they flirt with her and she flirts back, there are sparks. Clara stops pacing as the doorbell rings. She opens the door to greet Caleb.

'I'm glad you want to talk things out,' he smiles and kisses his wife. 'Yeah, me too,' Clara says and closes the door. 'Where are your parents?' Caleb asks hoping to greet is parents-in-law. 'They are on a holiday with Anna and Howard,' Clara says and takes a seat on the couch. Caleb copies his wife and smiles. 'I started renovating our house,' Caleb says enthusiastically. 'That's nice,' Clara says with a sad smile.

'Now, what did you want to talk about?' Caleb asks curiously and hopeful. 'I err... I want a divorce,' Clara says stumbling over her words. 'A divorce?!' Caleb asks surprised. 'Yes.' 'But why? Because of the fighting? I am sorry about that, and I want to work on that and my behaviour. You know I have been going to a therapist.' 'Yes, I know. And I still think that's wonderful,' Clara says. 'But why would you want a divorce then?' Caleb asks holding back his tears. 'I err... I am a lesbian,' Clara silently says looking at her hands fidgeting with the end of her sleeves.

Caleb is silent for a moment. 'Are you still in love with Sookie? Is that why you didn't want to move?' Caleb asks. 'Yes, and also no.' Caleb frowns confused. 'I still love Sookie and yes, she was the reason that I didn't want to move. But I also wanted to try and make us work. And Sookie and I talked last week, she loves Lily's dad and is moving. So, nothing is keeping me here anymore except the fact I am a lesbian, and we should not have been married,' Clara says.

They are silent for a moment. 'If we get divorced and you tell my parents why, they will not want you to work in their firm. If we don't get divorced, you will be unhappy? What if we don't have a divorce but you can see women?' 'Caleb... It doesn't work like that,' Clara says sadly. 'I know that. But you can't make me fall in love with you and then expect me to just let you go,' Caleb says and stands up. 'I am sorry,' Clara says and stands up too.

'Have you ever loved me?' Caleb asks coldly. 'I do love you. You are my best friend and I care for you deeply,' Clara says. Caleb sighs. 'Do you have feelings for Lauren?' Clara laughs. 'Why would I have feelings for your sister?' 'She came out to the family last week. My parents refuse to speak to her,' Caleb says. 'Oh, no. Why didn't you tell me?' 'We were too busy fighting.' 'Oh.' Caleb turns to look at his wife.

'Can we divorce after the holidays? I want to celebrate Christmas with you if that's alright?' 'Okay,' Clara says. 'How are you feeling?' Clara asks as Caleb just stands there. 'Confused, sad, a little angry, relieved that it was not my fault, relieved that you didn't cheat on me, glad you told me now and not waited for another then years, sad, confused, sad.' 'Can we still be friends?' Caleb nods as Clara hugs him. 'And I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner,' Clara says. 'It's okay.'