Chapter 49 - December 24th, 2003

'Mom! We're here!' Thomas shouts walking into the Hanlin house. 'Oh great! I have too many food and not enough people to eat it,' Anna laughs as she walks into the hallway. Ophelia giggles. Anna stops walking when she notices. 'Does she count as a christmas present?' Paul asks jokingly. 'Oh shut up you!' Anna says laughing at her son-in-law when she runs up to hug her daughter. 'Oh, honey, thank you for coming,' Anna says and hugs her daughter in relief. 'Hi, mom,' Sookie says and hugs her mom.

Anna lets go of her daughter and looks around. 'Where's Erik?' Anna asks confused. Sookie looks at her with sad eyes. 'Home,' she says with crack in her voice. 'Who's Erik?' Thomas asks confused. Anna looks from her daughter to her son. 'No one,' Anna simply says, understanding Sookie's heartbreak.

'C'mon, make your way to the food!' Anna says and hurries back to the kitchen. 'Where's Howard?' Paul asks while taking something to drink for Ophelia. 'He'll be here in fifteen minutes, his brother was having trouble with his stove,' Anna says and looks at Sookie. 'Mom has a boyfriend,' Thomas smirks. 'So does dad,' Sookie says unbothered and takes a piece of pecan pie. The rest looks at her with a frown. 'I'm sorry, I'm just really hungry,' Sookie says. 'It's fine honey, eat what you want,' Anna says and smiles at her daughter.