Chapter 13 - March 8th, 2000

Maia closes her heavy economics book and puts on her coat. A walk and fresh air are highly needed. She walks by a stand that sells coffee. The smell reminds her of her dad. She closes her eyes. She misses him when she is at uni. 'Do you want a cup?' The boy asks. Maia opens her eyes awkwardly. 'What?' She asks confused. 'Do you want a cup of coffee or are you going to stand there all day with your eyes closed, sniffing?' The boy asks with a smile. 'The smell reminds me of my dad,' Maia says and takes a step closer to the coffee beans. 'A cappuccino, please,' she says.

'Does your dad sell coffee then?' The young man asks. 'He owns a diner, so yes,' she says and pays the young man. 'It's on the house,' he says and hands her money back to her, along with the cappuccino. 'Thank you,' Maia smiles. 'What's your name?' He asks. 'What's yours?' 'Mateo.' 'Nice to meet you, Mateo. See you around,' Maia says and leaves the young man still curious about her name. Maia smiles behind her free cup of coffee.

When Maia returns to her building, she stops when she sees Clara calling someone and smiling. Maia hides behind a tree and can hear Clara talking. 'I think she's taking a walk,' Clara says to Sookie on the phone. When the conversation is coming to an end, Maia is surprised by what Clara says. 'I love being your girlfriend, Soo. Bye,' Clara smiles, hangs up the phone and goes inside the building.

Maia is surprised by the last sentence. Maybe it was meant in a friendly way? Girl friend, as in female friend, just friend. Or were they really together as in girlfriend girlfriend? Nah, that's ridiculous.