Chapter 63 - June 3rd, 2008

'Where are we going?' Maia asks curiously as Mateo drives by Sookie's hotel. 'I thought we were meeting with Sookie?' Maia asks again. 'No, that was just an excuse,' Mateo says and drives further, heading towards the beach. 'Mat-' 'Maia, cariño, relax and enjoy the view,' Mateo says and takes Maia's hand. 'Okay,' Maia smiles.

As Mateo parks the car, Maia looks confused. 'Why is there a path of candles?' Mateo says nothing and gets out of the car so he can open the door for the love of his life. 'You'll see,' he eventually says and closes the door behind his soon to be fiancé. He hooks her arm in his and guides her along the path of candles. 'Who did this?' Maia asks as the candles keep going to a log and a campfire. 'Our best friend might have helped me,' Mateo says. 'I'll have a talk with her, doing things behind my back,' Maia jokes and takes a seat on the log.

'You know you just could've told me we were having a date night,' Maia says and looks over the beach. Mateo just hums and uncovers a picnic basket and a blanket in case they get cold. 'But you did out do yourself on this one. We have never had a date on the beach with candles and a campfire and a picnic,' Maia says as she looks at Mateo. 'Well, you deserve to have perfect dates,' Mateo says and kisses her on the cheek. 'Thank you,' Maia says and kisses Mateo.

'So, I have your favourite food and drinks in here,' Mateo says and opens the basket. 'What do you want first?' 'Coffee,' Maia chuckles. 'I do think your dad put coffee in your baby bottle instead of milk,' Mateo laughs. 'Of course he did,' Maia goes along in the joke. Mateo takes out a thermos with coffee and pours some in a cup for Maia. 'Thank you,' she says before taking a sip. 'Oh wow, it tastes better than dad's,' Maia says surprised. 'I'm sorry, what?' Mateo asks surprised, but proud. 'Nothing. You can't tell dad,' Maia laughs. 'I promise,' Mateo says and kisses her again.

'So why do we have such a special date out of nowhere? It's not our anniversary of anyone's birthday,' Maia says after a while, knowing exactly where this is going. 'Oh, well err...' Mateo stutters, 'Because I love you.' 'I may hope so, we have been together for six years and bought a house together,' Maia laughs and then snuggles against her boyfriend. The sun starts to set, and they are both quiet for a while in each other's arms. 'Maia?' Mateo asks. Maia hums. 'Will you marry me?' he asks as sincere as he is and can be.

Mateo is a little mad at himself. He wanted to get on one knee and open the box as he asked her. But this was even more perfect and better timed than any of the other scenarios in his head were. Maia looks up at him and starts smiling. 'Of course, I'll marry you,' Maia says and kisses him. 'I have ring,' Mateo whispers against her lips. Maia backs up a little so Mateo can take the ring out of his pocket. 'Oh, wow, it's beautiful!' Maia says in awe as Mateo puts the ring on her index finger.

'I'm sorry you had to wait for this long,' Mateo says and wraps his arms around his fiancé. 'Mateo, I don't need rings to know that we love each other. I don't need rings to know we will do whatever it takes to be together and make each other happy. I don't need rings, I just need you,' Maia says and gives him a kiss. 'You need to safe those words for the vows,' Mateo smiles. Maia chuckles. 'I will.'