Chapter 18 - August 31st, 2000

Maia stands in front of her friends. 'What was so important you wanted to discuss?' Sookie asks with a little smile. 'I know,' Maia says, looking them in the eye. 'What do you know?' Clara asks confused. 'I know you two are dating, I saw you kiss August first. My aunt let me go so I ran to your house. When I got there you were kissing in the car. And this month I started to notice the little things that I should've seen sooner. And now my question is: Why the hell didn't you tell me? I have a right to know, you are my best friends.'

Clara and Sookie look at their friend, completely speechless. 'I'm sorry,' Sookie says with tears filling her eyes. She no longer has to lie to her friend. 'You know, I'm not even that mad at you. I haven't seen you often last year. And I know you want to tell important things face to face. But you, Clara, I saw you every day and night and you didn't bother to tell me,' Maia says and looks angry at Clara. 'Maia, we agreed not to tell you together. You can't be mad at only Clara,' Sookie says.

'How long has this been going on?' Maia asks ignoring Sookie. 'The Europe trip,' Clara silently says, looking at her feet. 'A year?!' Maia says shocked. 'Maia,' Sookie says, trying to calm down her friend. 'I... I need space,' Maia says and turns around to go home. 'Maia!' Sookie says and follows her friend. 'Do not follow me!' Maia shouts at her best friend. Sookie stands on her front porch, looking at the angry girl walking away.

Clara carefully stands next to Sookie. 'You should go home too,' Sookie says, wiping away her tears. 'No,' Clara says and hugs her girlfriend. 'I'm sorry,' Sookie cries in Clara's shoulder. 'It's okay.' Clara can't cry. She's relieved she doesn't have to lie anymore, but heartbroken about the fight. All she can do is hug her girlfriend because in a few days she can't anymore.

'Do you want a cup of tea? Or something to eat?' Clara asks. 'No,' Sookie says and looks at her. They hug in silent for a moment. 'I'll see you tomorrow,' Sookie says after a while and lets go of Clara. 'Oh, okay,' Clara says a little disappointed. 'See you tomorrow then,' Clara says and kisses Sookie's cheeck. 'Bye,' Sookie says and goes back inside the house. She walks upstairs, and starts to cry again.

'What was all that yelling about?' Anna asks with a raised eyebrow. 'I messed up, mom,' Sookie cries. 'Oh, honey, what's wrong?' Anna asks and hugs her daughter. They make their way to Sookie's room and take a seat on the bed. Sookie tells the whole story, from the Europe trip till now. 'Wow, I didn't even notice,' Anna says a little disappointed in herself. Sookie doesn't say anything.

'Do you only like girls or both boys and girls or...?' Anna carefully asks. 'I don't care. It doesn't matter to me,' Sookie silently says. Anna smiles. 'Do you love Clara?' Sookie looks at her mom. She didn't even think of that, but she knows the answer. 'Yes, I do love her,' Sookie softly smiles. Anna starts smiling to. As long as her kids are happy, she's happy too. Sookie face falls for a moment.

'Why the sad face again?' Anna asks worried. 'I also love Maia she's my best friend, but it means more. It has been there for a longer time. And it just hurts seeing her hurt. And it's my fault,' Sookie cries again. 'Oh, honey,' Anna sighs and hugs her daughter. 'I think the three of you should talk before you leave,' Anna suggests. 'I thinks so too.'

Later that evening Sookie walks into Valentine's Diner, ready to talk to Maia. She called Clara earlier that she has to stop by this evening so they can talk. 'Maia is upstairs,' Valentine says when he sees Sookie looking for someone. 'Thanks,' Sookie awkwardly smiles and goes to the stairs that lead to their living space. 'Maia?' Sookie calls searching the rooms. 'She's in the garden,' Paul says appearing from his room. 'Thanks,' Sookie smiles. 'You three find a way out of it, like always,' Paul says comforting. Sookie just hums and takes the other staircase down to the garden.

'Maia?' Maia looks up from her lap where Nacho is purring. 'What are you doing here?' Maia asks, petting the cat. 'I wanted to talk to you,' Sookie says, carefully taking a seat next to her friend. 'I forgive you, you know I do. I've always known that you like both boys and girls. And now I know why you looked at Clara the way you look at her now.' 'You've always known?' Sookie asks surprised. 'Yeah. Don't you remember Hannah O'Brien? You were all over the place when she would enter the classroom.' 'Oh, yeah, that's true,' Sookie laughs.

They are silent for a moment. 'Will you forgive Clara?' Sookie finally asks. 'Probably,' Maia silently says. Sookie smiles. 'Will you have a problem with us dating in the future?' Sookie carefully asks, looking at her best friend. 'No, as long as you two aren't too clingy around me,' Maia says. Sookie hugs her best friend. 'Thank you,' she whispers. Maia hugs her back. 'I love you, you are my best friend.' 'I love you too,' Sookie says, holding her tears of joy.

'Euhm...?' Clara awkwardly says, standing in the doorway. Sookie looks at her girlfriend and Maia at her friend. 'Come here, you,' Maia says, putting Nacho on the bench and standing up to face her friend. Clara carefully walks to her friends. 'If you hurt her... I will kill you. And I mean it,' Maia says coldly. 'I promise I will not,' Clara says. 'Great!' Maia shouts happily and hugs Clara tightly. 'You have to pinky swear!' Sookie shouts with a smile. 'Fine,' Clara says. Maia and Clara hook their pinks and not at each other. 'I will never hurt her,' Clara says. 'Otherwise I will kill you,' Maia says silently.