Chapter 61 - December 25th, 2006

'Clara, how wonderful it is to see you again!' Caleb's mother says. 'Yeah, you too,' Clara says and smiles politely. 'It's a shame we had to come all this way,' the mother-in-law continues. 'Mom, we talked about this. This year we celebrate with the Mason's and their family and friends,' Caleb says. The mother-in-law rolls her eyes and follows her husband. Clara is relieved when Maia, Mateo and Valentine arrive. Olivia and Mason greet their guests.

'Hi,' Maia says and hugs her friend. 'Hi,' Clara smiles and hugs her friend back. Clara greets Mateo and Valentine. 'We've got presents. Where shall I put them?' Valentine asks. 'Under the Christmas tree, Val,' Clara smiles. 'Just making sure,' Valentine smiles. Then the front door opens again and the Hanlins arrive. 'Sookie!' Clara says and hugs her friend. 'Oh hi,' Sookie chuckles. 'I'm going to help Lily with her coat and then I'll join you. Okay?' Clara nods and greats Thomas, Paul, and Ophelia before greeting Anna and Howard.

After a while everyone takes a seat at the table. 'Can't believe she's raising a child alone,' the mother-in-law says to her husband. Sookie looks up hearing that. 'Ma'am, I am not alone. Every person at this table excluding you and your husband have helped me. So, no, I am not raising my daughter alone,' Sookie says as firmly but polite as possible. The mother-in-law looks at her plate ashamed. 'Does anyone else want some tater tots?' Thomas asks breaking the awkward silence holding the bowl. 'Me!' Ophelia says and holds up her plate.

Suddenly the bell rings. 'I'll go,' Levi smiles and stands up. Not soon after Lauren enters the dining room. 'What are you doing here?' The mother-in-law asks. 'Oh, hi, mother. The Masons invited me,' Lauren says. 'Lauren! How are you?' Maia asks happily seeing her old roommate. 'I'm good, thanks. How about you?' Lauren asks as Levi places a chair between Clara and Maia. The girls start a conversation.

After dinner Caleb and Laurens parents get up. 'We should get going,' his mother says and thanks Olivia and Levi before leaving. 'Lauren, it's nice to see you darling. Merry Christmas everyone,' Caleb and Laurens father says before going after his wife. Everyone mumbles a 'merry Christmas' back. 'I am sorry my parents are like that,' Lauren says to everyone. Some people mumble an 'it's okay'.

People start cleaning up the plates and make their way to the living room. Olivia guides Sookie to a room where she can put Lily to sleep. 'She's an adorable little lady. And so calm,' Olivia says as she opens the guest bedroom. 'Thank you,' Sookie smiles to the woman. 'She reminds me of you when you were her age. You were always the calm one. Maia was the bundle of energy and Clara, well Clara just copied you or Maia,' Olivia says and closes the curtains. 'It's still that way,' Sookie chuckles. 'Yes, but I think Clara is finally finding her way.' 'I think so too,' Sookie says and puts up the portable bed.

Once Lily is settled in and asleep, they make their way back to the others. Everyone is ready for the presents. Clara looks at Caleb and Lauren. 'We normally do Secret Santa each year,' she says. They nod. 'I do have a present for you,' Caleb says. Clara smiles. 'I have a gift for you too.' 'Can I give the presents to everyone?' Ophelia asks. 'Of course, you can!' Levi says. Ophelia lets out a happy sound. 'This one is for Papa,' Ophelia says and gives the present to Paul. 'Thank you,' he says and opens the present.

'It's from me,' Ophelia says before Paul can open the envelope that was wrapped. Paul curiously opens the envelope and takes out the papers. 'What is it?' Maia asks. 'Adoption papers,' Paul says and starts crying. 'Who is he adopting?' Lauren asks. 'Me!' Ophelia shouts happily. Thomas comforts his fiancé. 'You do want to adopt me, right?' Ophelia asks as Paul tears keep coming. 'I would be very honoured, Ophelia,' Paul says and smiles. Ophelia runs to Paul and hugs her fathers. 'I think this is wonderful!' Valentine says and smiles at his son. 'We all do,' Sookie says.

'Now, the next present!' Ophelia says after hugging her fathers. 'Auntie Soo,' Ophelia says and gives the present to her aunt. 'Thanks,' she says and opens it. 'I'm going to guess this one is from Paul?' Sookie laughs as she holds up the little tiffany lamp that matches the other one she got. 'Actually, sister, that one comes from me,' Thomas says proudly. 'Wow brother, you've outdone yourself,' Sookie says jokingly. 'Thank you, it's beautiful.'

Howard gets a watch from Anna, Anna gets a coupon for two at a spa from Maia, Maia gets a week away to Greece at the little hotel from Sookie, Thomas gets new shoes from Valentine, Valentine gets a new coat from Mateo, Mateo gets a little canvas with Lily's hand- and footprints with the quote "to the best godfather" from Lily, Lily gets a teddy bear from Olivia, Olivia gets a new kitchen knife set from Howard, Levi gets new camera from Paul, Caleb gets a fancy pen and notebook from Clara, Clara gets a new Little Women edition from Levi and Ophelia gets a backpack from Caleb.

'Thanks, Caleb,' Ophelia says happily admiring her backpack. 'You are welcome,' Caleb smiles. 'Lauren, here's your gift,' Clara says and gives her friend and sister-in-law her present. 'Thank you, Clara,' Lauren says with a smile. 'Wow tickets to Beyoncé!' Lauren says surprised but happy. 'You can take whomever you want,' Clara says and smiles. 'Thank you, Clara,' Lauren says and hugs her friend.

After the cosiness of the company, the Hanlins start to leave and so do the Ainsley's. 'I am going to the hotel, if that's alright?' Caleb says to his sister and Clara. 'You go ahead, I'd like to catch up with my friend,' Lauren says to her brother. He nods and says his goodbyes to Olivia and Levi before he leaves. 'We are off to bed,' Levi says and greets his daughter a good night. 'Sleep well,' Olivia says and hugs her daughter.

Clara and Lauren take a seat on the couch and look at each other. 'I'd like to take you to the concert,' Lauren says. 'I'd love that,' Clara smiles. 'Okay,' Lauren smiles back as she leans in. Clara chuckles and kisses the young woman. A week after Clara told Caleb she wanted a divorce, Lauren called Clara. They have been on a few dates. The divorce is almost finalized, but Caleb does not know about them. But the girls romance didn't start out of nowhere. When they were roommates, they have kissed a couple of times. Most of the time they were tipsy or drunk, but there were sober times too. Both of them said it was just a kiss between friends after every time. We all know that were just lies.