Chapter 4 - December 31st, 1998

Thomas gives his sister and mother a kiss on the cheek. 'I'll call you when I'm there,' Thomas says and leaves. He wanted to leave a week earlier "to study". Anna and Sookie know he's just avoiding any possible conversation with Paul. Poor Paul, Sookie felt really bad for him. But now she's mad that he won't even stay for New Years.

Anna looks at her daughter. 'When are you applying for college?' She asks. 'When Clara and Maia do, then the chances are higher we get into the same one,' Sookie says, even though she know that's not true. 'Maybe you three can have a conversation about it later?' Anna suggests. 'Yeah, maybe, bye,' Sookie says and gives her mom a kiss on the cheek before she leaves the house.

'Ugh, Paul, don't you have your own friends to hangout with?' Maia sighs when Paul joins Maia and Clara in the living room. 'Sookie is a friend,' Paul says and pets Nacho. 'No, she isn't, she's mine and Clara's friend,' Maia says. 'That's not true,' Paul says offended. 'What's not true?' Sookie asks as she walks into the living room above Valentine's Diner. 'Tell them I'm your friend,' Paul says and points at her friends. 'Oh, yeah he is,' Sookie says like it's common knowledge. 'Since when?' Maia asks confused. 'No need to be so dramatic,' Sookie says and sits next to Clara.

Maia drops the conversation and starts another one. 'So, is it okay for your parents that you stay here tonight?' Maia asks. 'Actually my mom wants it to be at her house, she doesn't want to be alone,' Sookie says. 'Then father would be alone,' Maia sighs. 'What about me?' Paul asks. 'Oh that's right, you can stay with dad!' Maia says happily. 'Oh,' Paul says disappointed.

'And what if your mother came over here?' Paul suggests. 'And then what?' Sookie asks. 'Our parents can celebrate New Years together and we can celebrate at the Hanlin's house,' Paul explains. 'I'll call my mother,' Sookie says when the others nod in agreement. The others start to plan their evening while Sookie goes downstairs to the diner to call her mother.

'Hi, Valentine, can I call my mom?' Sookie asks Valentine who's making coffee. 'Of course,' he says with his warm smile. 'Thanks,' she says and takes the phone. She enters the number and waits for the phone to connect. 'Hello?' Anna says. 'Hi, mom.' 'Is something wrong, Sookie?' Anna asks worried. 'No. No! I wanted to ask if you want to come over here to celebrate New Years, then you wont be alone.' 'Oh doesn't Valentine mind?' 'No,' Sookie lies. 'Okay then,' Anna finally says. 'Great! Bye,' Sookie hangs up and turns to Valentine. 'You and my mother will be together this evening,' Sookie says and leave Valentine surprised.

'It's all settled,' Sookie says and sits next to Paul so she can pat Nacho in his lap. 'Great!' The girls say.

After dinner the teens make their way to the other house. 'Paul, please tell me you were useful and took beer from dad's pantry?' 'I did,' Paul says and holds up a bag. 'You brought beer?!' Clara asks surprised and stops walking. 'You don't have to drink any,' Paul says carefully. 'Are you kidding? I would never be allowed if my parents knew. Of course I'm drinking,' Clara says with a lot of enthusiasm. They laugh and start walking again.

Sookie unlocks the door only to find her mother with her hands on her hips. 'I trust you four to behave?' It sounds more like a question than an order. 'Of course mom,' Sookie says and kisses her check. 'Okay. I put the extra matras in your room. Have fun and be careful,' Anna says and leaves. 'She definitely knows what's in the bag,' Sookie laughs.

The teens lock the door, get snacks and some other drinks and make themselves comfortable in Sookie's room. 'We should change in our pyjama's,' Maia says taking hers out of her bag. 'I'll go to the bathroom,' Maia says and locks the bathroom door behind her. 'I'll go to Thomas's room,' Paul silently says and leaves. 'I don't mind changing here,' Clara says. 'Me neither,' Sookie says. They turn their backs to each other and start changing.