Chapter 54 - July 20th, 2004

'So, where do you want to live?' Mateo asks Maia as they drive to his parents' house. 'New York, Rose Hills. It's all very close to each other,' Maia says. 'Yeah, but do you want to live in between? Or far away from both? Closer to your father? Closer to my parents? I have to apply for a job somewhere and I don't want to leave after a year,' Mateo says and turns right. 'Why don't you choose a school where you want to teach, and I'll follow?' Maia suggests. 'Maia, Sookie is having a baby, alone. Do you really want to follow me anywhere?' Maia sighs. 'I forgot about that,' Maia says sadly.

Maia definitely does not want to leave her best friend alone. But she wants Mateo to be happy. 'What's Clara going to do, after she's married?' Mateo asks. 'Originally, they would move to Chicago, close to Caleb's parents law firm where Clara could work. But now they're going to stay here for a little longer to help Sookie.' 'Do you want to do that too?' Mateo asks and parks the car in his parents' driveway.

'Mateo, I can't choose between you and Sookie,' Maia says and unclicks her seatbelt. 'Do you want me to choose?' Maia nods. Mateo takes his girlfriend's hand. 'Then we stay in Rose Hills for a few years or whenever Sookie decides to move across the ocean.' 'Mateo! We do not want her to move there!' Maia says shocked. 'I know, but we don't know what Sookie wants.'

Then Mateo's phone rings. 'Mateo Mendoza,' he says taking the call. 'Mateo! I tried to call Maia, but she doesn't answer,' Sookie says seeming in a lot of pain. 'Sookie, are you okay?' Mateo asks worried, putting the phone on speaker. 'No, no. My water just broke, and mom is not home yet. Where are you?' 'OMG, Sookie are you okay?!' Maia shouts surprised. Then Sookie lets out a weird noise to regulate the pain. 'What do you think, Maia?' Sookie says between her teeth. 'We are at my parents' house, but we come to you now,' Mateo says, puts the phone in Maia's hands and starts driving faster than the speed limits allow.

Once back in Rose Hills, Sookie's contractions have gotten worse. They stayed on the phone with her this whole time. Maia runs to the front door and opens it. Sookie is sitting on the floor against a wall. 'Thank you for coming,' Sookie says exhausted. 'Oh, Soo, you don't have to thank me,' Maia says and helps up her friend. 'Mateo has some road anger,' Sookie says as they walk to the car. 'He normally doesn't, but he does when you need help,' Maia smiles. Sookie hums in a smile. They get in the car.

'Ah shit, I forgot the bag mom made in case we had to hurry to the hospital,' Sookie sighs. 'I'll get it,' Maia says and runs back inside. Mateo turns around and looks at his friend. 'I didn't know you cared so much about me,' Sookie smiles playful through the pain. 'I consider you my best friend, Sookie,' Mateo says. 'Well, wow, I didn't know that,' Sookie says surprised and lets out that horrible sound again. 'I'm back, I'm back,' Maia says, puts the bag next to Sookie and gets in the car.

On the way to the hospital, Maia calls Anna again. 'She's probably still on the plane,' Sookie says. 'Why did your mother and Howard decide to go on a holiday now?' Mateo asks. 'Because I wasn't supposed to be in labour right now,' Sookie hisses. 'We're almost there,' Maia says looking at the signs.

Once at the hospital, Mateo parks the car and helps Sookie out of the car as Maia takes the bag. They hurry inside and take a wheelchair for Sookie to sit in. Maia shoves the people out of the way, politely of course, as she searches for a doctor or nurse. Sookie calls her mother again. It goes to voicemail once more. Sookie leaves a voicemail, again. Then Maia's phone rings. It's Howard on the other side of the line. 'Howard! Get Anna to the hospital, immediately!' Maia almost screams. She keeps on the conversation as they make their way to right place in the hospital.

'Apparently your mother lost her phone. Howard tried to call you when you were trying to call your mother. They arrived home. He called because you weren't there,' Maia says calmly to Sookie. Mateo pushes Sookie further to the reception. 'Hello, what can I help you with?' the nurse asks kindly. 'To get that little watermelon sized human out of me as soon as possible!' Sookie says as another contraction hit. 'Right away, come this way to a room,' the nurse says and hurries to a room.

Once Sookie is settled in, they fill out the forms she's given. Mateo unpacks the important stuff from Sookie's bag. 'Do you want your fuzzy socks on?' Mateo asks kindly. 'Mateo, it's July,' Sookie says annoyed. 'Well, in the southern part of the globe, it's winter,' Mateo says back. 'I'm sorry, Mateo.' 'It's okay, you are uncomfortable and in a lot of pain,' Mateo smiles. Maia gets back with some ice chips. 'There you go,' she says as she gives Sookie the cup.

After four hours and only 8 centimetres, it's eleven p.m. and Sookie starts crying. 'I'm sorry,' she whispers. Anna, who arrived three hours ago, takes her daughter's hand. 'It's okay, honey,' Anna says. 'When my mother gave birth to Marisol it took two days,' Mateo says. 'Honey, that's not helping,' Maia says to her boyfriend. 'Right,' he says a little disappointed in himself. 'Mateo?' Sookie asks. 'Yes?' 'I do want my fuzzy socks,' Sookie says and sniffs away her last tear. 'Okay,' Mateo smiles and gets the socks.

The door opens and Thomas and Paul walk in. 'I'm so sorry we are late!' Tom says and hurries to his sister to give her a careful hug. For a moment they are all silent. Sookie opens her mouth to say something, but then doesn't. 'What's wrong?' Paul asks worried. 'I err... I want to open a small hotel,' Sookie says. They all look at her flabbergasted. 'After this one is born, I want to go study hotel management and open a little hotel. It's going to take time, but it's what I want,' Sookie says.

'Where are you going to get the money?' Anna asks. 'I've worked a lot in Greece and at Valentine's,' Sookie says. 'I thought that was for the baby?' Maia asks confused. 'Partly, yes,' Sookie says. 'Did you win the lottery?' Paul asks a little hopeful. 'The day I left Greece, Erik gave me a check. He said it was the money he earned working at the hotel. Stupid me didn't think about it until I called father and Alexei. Because I earned one tenth in almost three years than he did in one and a half according to his check. He gave me money for my dream, much more than I actually need.'

They are all silent for a moment. The nurse comes back and checks Sookie's dilation. The men look away as they do not want to see that. 'It's almost time. She's going to be born after midnight,' the nurse says and looks at the clock. Only five minutes left. The OB-GYN walks in the room. 'Can everybody please leave, but mom?' Sookie asks a little nervous. They leave as she has another contraction.