Chapter 23 - March 9th, 2001

'Hi, mom,' Sookie says and hugs her mom before entering the house. 'Where are your brothers?' Anna asks. 'They are getting Ophelia out of her seat, the seatbelt got stuck,' Sookie says. 'Is Ophelia still with them? I thought Lucinda would've come home this week,' Anna says. 'They are coming home today, normally,' Sookie says and hangs her coat on the coatrack. Anna closes the door, so the cold doesn't come in.

'How are they?' Anna asks. 'Better. I think they talked things out. Since Ophelia has been staying, they seem happier,' Sookie says and gets herself a glass of soda. 'How are you and Clara?' Anna asks and closes the fridge door with a little sigh. 'I don't know. She stopped calling me. And whenever I call, she just hurries the conversation to an end.' 'Oh, maybe she's just busy with school.' Anna says and hugs her daughter. 'I'm visiting her next weekend for her birthday,' Sookie silently says. 'That's great! Maybe you can talk things out then,' Anna says.

'I'm happy to see Maia then,' Sookie says, takes a sip from her soda and puts down the glass before she opens the front door. 'Hey you shitfaces, hurry up, I'm hungry!' Sookie yells at Thomas and Paul. 'In a minute!' Thomas shouts back. Sookie rolls her eyes and looks at her mom. 'Is that a nice word to call them?' Anna asks with a raised eyebrow. 'What would you say then?' Sookie sighs. 'Hey sugarpies! Get your asses in here!' Anna shouts. 'Mom! In a minute!' Thomas shouts back embarrassed. 'See, now they have flushed faces cause a mom called them sugarpie. Now they will hurry,' Anna says with a satisfied smile.

'I raised my children well,' Anna smiles to Sookie. 'You sure switched their sexualities,' Sookie says with a crooked grin. 'That was to annoy their father,' Anna whispers and opens the door further so her son, his daughter and boyfriend can come in. 'Mom, never call me sugarpie in public ever again,' Thomas says as he kisses her cheek. Anna just laughs and hugs Paul before kissing Ophelia on the cheek. 'Hi there little O,' Anna says to her grandchild.

After dinner, they put Ophelia to bed. 'She's so adorable,' Anna says. 'The other night she got all exited because Paul braided her hair. I should've taken a picture, but I don't have a camera,' Thomas says. 'You can braid hair?' Sookie asks Paul surprised. 'Hey, you and Maia always wanted braids on sleepovers. Someone had to learn. And it comes in handy now,' Paul says. Thomas smiles at Paul and takes his hand under the table. The sweet moment falls apart when Anna speaks. 'Tom, there's something wrong with my car. It makes an awful sound when I hit the gas.' 'I'll take a look at it,' Thomas says and stands up. Anna follows her son to the garage.

'I saw that look,' Sookie says with a little smile. 'What look?' Paul asks confused. 'The look my brother gave you,' Sookie says. 'I have to tell you something, Soo,' Paul says as serious as possible. 'He's my boyfriend, Sookie, and we are deeply in love,' Paul says. 'Oh no I'm shocked,' Sookie sarcastically says. 'That's not what I meant,' Sookie says. 'Then what did you mean?' Paul frowns. 'He looked at you like he was married to you. He genuinely looked happy,' Sookie says. 'Doesn't he always look at me like that?' Paul asks with a blush. 'Yes, but the glint in his eyes are different.'

'Do you really think he's out of his dark cloud?' Paul asks. 'It seems so,' Sookie says. 'Then he passed on the dark cloud to you,' Paul says and wipes his mouth with the napkin. 'What do you mean?!' Sookie asks offended. 'You've been gloomy for over a month,' Paul says. 'What's going on with my best friend, Sookie?' Paul asks worried and takes Sookie's hand above the table. 'Clara doesn't act like Clara anymore.' 'Oh, Sookie,' Paul says and squeezes her hand.

'I took the wrong gasoline,' Anna says embarrassed entering the kitchen again. 'Oh, mom,' Sookie chuckles. 'Why are you holding hands?' Thomas asks and smiles at his sister. 'I was too lazy to stand up and hug her,' Paul says and squeezes Sookie's hand before letting go. 'Mom, can Ophelia stay here tonight?' Thomas asks. 'Sure, honey,' Anna smiles and winks at her son. 'Oh, can I stay too?' Sookie asks. 'No,' Anna says. 'What?' Sookie asks confused. 'You need to give your brothers a ride home,' Anna says. Sookie sighs.

'Mom, why do you keep calling us brothers?' Thomas asks annoyed. 'You two aren't brothers to each other. But you, Thomas, are Sookie's brother by blood. And you, Paul, are Sookie's brother-in-law and brother by choice. So I call you two brothers to Sookie, but I would never call you brothers to each other, that would be very weird,' Anna says.

'So who's your favourite brother then?' Paul asks with a grin. 'Paul,' Anna and Sookie say. 'Hey! I'm your blood, you just said that!' Thomas says surprised. 'Oh, honey, you are my favourite child,' Anna says. 'Hey!' Sookie lets out. 'You are my best friend,' Anna says to Sookie. 'Oh,' Sookie says and hugs her mom sideways. 'Now, you three get out of here,' Anna says and starts cleaning the kitchen table.