Chapter 59 - November 21st, 2006

'Okay, bye,' Paul says and pushes his friend out of the house. 'But does she have her favourite blanket?' Sookie asks the closed door. 'Yes, bye sister. Go enjoy an evening alone,' Thomas says on the other side of the door. 'Can I have a hug first?' Sookie asks and wipes away a tear. Thomas opens the door and hugs his sister. 'She's in good hands, Soo. You deserve a night on your own,' Thomas says kindly. 'I know, I know,' Sookie mutters.

'Go out, have fun,' Thomas says and smiles as he stops hugging Sookie. 'You can't keep living and hope he'll ever show up,' Thomas says. Sookie takes a step back, looking at her brother offended. 'What do you mean by that?' Thomas sighs, knowing he should've have said that. 'Nothing,' Thomas lies. 'No, say what you meant,' Sookie says firmly. 'Fine! I meant that he'll probably never would show up. He probably forgot about you, moved on.' Thomas says.

Sookie slaps her brother in the face. 'You don't know him,' she coldly says and walks away. 'Soo, I'm sorry,' Thomas says holding his painful cheek. 'Oh, you shut up!' Sookie shouts before she gets in the car. Thomas walks back inside as Sookie takes off in the darkness of the evening. 'You always have to say something stupid,' Paul says shaking his head. Thomas just hums and walks past Paul to his niece and daughter.

Sookie drives back to her mother's house. 'You are just in time,' Anna says and hugs her daughter before her and Howard get in the car. 'Have fun,' Sookie says as she turns to walk to the house. Then she changes her mind and starts walking to Valentine's Diner. On her way she stops as she hears voices shouting. 'Make up your mind, Clara!' Caleb shouts and closes the car door and starts driving. 'Asshole,' Clara says.

'Everything okay?' Sookie asks from a distant. 'Oh, hi. We just had a fight, again,' Clara sighs and walks to her friend. 'Do you need a hug?' Sookie asks spreading her arms. 'Yes, thanks,' Clara says and hugs her friend. 'I was on my way to Valentine's, do you want to tag along?' Sookie asks. 'Yes,' Clara says. They both start walking to Valentine's as they stop looking at the sign. 'It's closed?' They both asks confused.

'We can go to Jack's?' Clara suggests. 'You've been there?' Sookie asks surprised. 'Well, Caleb was there one night,' Clara says as they start walking. 'What's going on between you two?' Sookie asks and hooks her arm in Clara's. 'We fight constantly,' Clara sighs. 'What do you fight about?' Sookie asks thinking about what Caleb yelled about Clara making up her mind. 'The fight you heard was about when I want to move to Chicago,' Clara says.

'Do you want to move?' Sookie asks looking at the houses they pass. 'Do you?' She asks. 'I can't wait to move,' Sookie starts smiling. 'Yeah, but you'll be close to Maia and your brother,' Clara silently says. 'Well, Thomas is between Maia and mom.' It's silent for a moment. 'But weren't you moving to Chicago anyways? If I haven't come back and Lily would never have existed, would you still be here?' Sookie asks looking at her friend. 'No,' Clara says.

'So, what's keeping you here?' Sookie asks. Clara stops walking, as does Sookie. 'You,' Clara says and looks Sookie in the eye. 'Me? Clara, I'm fine. You can go with your husband,' Sookie says a little confused. 'Soo, that's not what I meant,' Clara says putting a lock of Sookie's hairs behind her face. 'Oh, Clara, please don't,' Sookie says and smiles sadly at her friend. 'Okay,' Clara says and starts walking again, trying not to cry.

'Clara, I love you, but not like that anymore. You've hurt me and I forgave you, but that doesn't mean I love you the same. And... I fell in love with Erik. As stupid as it sounds, I still hope he'll come here. He was the kindest, honest, and also emotional person I've ever met. He loved - well I hope he still loves - me so much, like no one else did before. I've felt safe with him the moment I met him. He made me feel like I was the only person on this planet, and you never made me feel like that.

'When we said goodbye at the airport, he said he didn't know how to breathe because he would miss me so much. He's the only one who communicates his feelings to me, who understands my sometimes crazy feelings. And since I came back here, I didn't know how to breathe because I miss him. Every time I look at Lily, I see him and for a moment I can breathe. Whenever I go to class or see the hotel, I feel close to him, and I can breathe.

'When I am with you, I try to see my friend from eight years ago. My friend who was so happy to see the Spice Girls, my friend who wouldn't hurt me. And I want to remember you as my friend and not as the shitty girlfriend you were because you were afraid to embrace your sexuality. So, either you go with your husband, or you stay here and confess you are a lesbian, but please do not stay here for me. Every time I see you, I will welcome you in my life as sixteen-year-old Clara and my door is always open for you. But please, please, be honest to yourself and start to breathe for once,' Sookie says.

'You knew all this time?' Clara asks a little relieved. 'Well, you never looked at the boys when we were younger. And even when we were going out, you still looked at other girls.' Clara laughs through her tears. 'I hope I one day love someone as much as you and Erik love each other,' Clara says. 'I hope that too,' Sookie says and hugs her friend. 'I'm sorry I hurt you,' Clara says. 'I know,' Sookie says. 'Now, do you still want to go to Jack's, or do you want to go home?' Sookie asks. 'I still want to go,' Clara smiles.