Chapter 34

It was cold. Freezing. Everything was white. As if I was in a blizzard. I can't move. I can't see. I ca-can't feel. Suddenly the white sky had parted, two large glowing eyes staring down at me, blue magic crackling around them as they bore into my very being- like a god looking at an ant.

          Gasping I jolted up, two arms around me, falling to my lap at the sudden motion. Fisting my hair I gasped, my head pounding. "Lilith...?" A groggy voice called as my gaze snapped to Alex, who jolted up just as quickly.

          "Wha- You're eyes are-" In seconds the throbbing was gone and Adrain was sitting up with us confused and tired. "I- gods," He shook his head, his face twisting in bewilderment and disbelief while I looked around, the white gone. Almost teasingly I saw a crackle of magic I had never seen before around what had been our fire. 

       "You're warm," Adrain mumbled, collapsing back into the dirt and curling around me. I was. I was warm. Staring at my hand I grabbed my shirt with my other, my mana core still covered in magic that had taken form. "What's wrong with your hair?" Adrain mumbled, playing with the side of my hair. Glancing at him I took the lock he held, a notable but small amount of white mixed into the red of my ringlets. Staring at it I felt sick.

        That's not- that's not possible. I'm just a glass mage. That's all I am. Swallowing I couldn't help the words racing through my mind. Oh, and kid, I'd keep that heat running through you in, you don't want to see what happens to 'heroes'. I wasn't one of them. It wasn't possible.

      "It's because my mana had been leaking," I lied, the gap one I hoped wasn't suspicious. That was a thing. One could have a notable difference in physical appearance if mana was over-exerted. It's not strange. "You should have seen what happened to my dad after he had his last burnout," I hummed, my mouth dry. "His hair went purple for almost a whole year," I smiled, my heart racing.

        Adrain yawned as he sat up, "I guess it was good we caught it before you turned into a grandma then," He hummed, draping his arm over my shoulders, using me as a support.

        "Right?" Alex tried, laughing gently, glancing at it but not bothering to look too long. Okay, yeah. It's just because I used too much mana. It's just because I cracked my core. Taking a deep breath I rubbed my temple, glancing at Adrian, my blood running cold as he was staring back, his face blank for all but a second. A second I almost missed. A tired smile there so quick I swallowed the lump in my throat with a smile just as pleasant.

        "Sooo, should we start running or look for food?" He asked looking up at Alex, who had already got to his feet. Alex glanced at us, taking Adrain's lazily outstretched hands and pulling him up, before offering me a hand.

         "We should probably find a better place to hide-" He made sure I was stable before turning to the sun and squinting at it, his hand shielding his eyes- "We slept a little too long, if we want to avoid the hunters then we should head out-"

       "Cute idea, really~" Hummed a voice that had all of us stilling, a panting man walking into view, his clothes ruffled, ripped here and there, while he scanned around us cautiously, "As much fun as this has been, I was careful not to come alone this time, yes?" He snapped, suddenly, the bloodthirsty aura around us pounding on my senses as I grunted, holding my head, red seeping into my sight as I could practically see their outlines in the trees around us.

       "Wh-what do we do?" Adrian asked scrambling to push me behind him, Alex equally realizing the fact we were surrounded. My breathing picked up as my eyes whipped around us.