Chapter 25

Again. That freaking creeper. "Hmm? Oh, that dude that was talking to the dean," Adrain rested his chin on my head, his hands in his pockets, while Alex paused in his conversation with Ari to glance at us.

              "Who?" She asked while I narrowed my eyes at him.

             "Just some random person Lilith thinks is suspicious, also thinks he'll affect her schedule soon,"

              "Not a random person, the only other rogue anyway near the school, who, apparently, was given a teacher uniform and is wearing wrong," I corrected shooting a glare at him while he rolled his eyes.

            "And you know he's a rogue how...?"

            "Easy, the way he carries himself, the weapons he clearly has on his person-"

            "The real reason,"

            "... I may have stolen his standing card," 

            "Lilith!" Alex snapped making me sigh and roll my eyes.

             "Standing card?" Ari asked, so, gladly taking the way out of a scolding I moved to explain.

             "I'm sure they gave you one before you entered, but it's the little black card you have to carry around, think of it as an identification card, the first one you are given is like your school id," Pulling mine from my bag I showed it to her, "These are more advanced than the standard type that just tells you magic type and rank, all you needed to get it to work would be a drop of blood,"

            "In the red circle?"

            "It is the red circle, the blood stays and takes the shape of a perfect circle, no one really knows why but it also stays red so... Oh, but I bet Alex's would be green and Adrain's..." I stared at him while he raised a brow, I did not know what color his blood was. "Anyway, it depends on your blood color for the color of the circle. Mine happens to be red so it's red, you have your card don't you?"

             "Um... I think so?" Oh my. She was going to have to carry it everywhere or my gods were there going to be consequences. Thankfully, she did pull one from her pocket. In a language, I did not know. Mmkay, well, I do know that is the color red. So. Like, I know some of what's happening here.

         "Is this your native tongue or...?" I trailed, getting steered away from one rushing to get to a recovery class by Adrian's arm which was dropped over my shoulders.

           "It is!" She said excitedly while I nodded, smiling and staring. I have no fucking clue what that says. Would it be rude if I said that? Should I just pretend I know? I mean, I can vaguely guess what it says.

              "Woooow, I've never seen anything like that," Adrain whistled from his resting place atop my head, his arm acting as a pillow between my hair and his cheek. Alex shot him a glare while he just raised a brow.

              "Ah- I'm not, I'm not shocked, only those of my clan have been able to recognize it so far," She sighed, her tail sagging with her shoulders while her colors dulled. Well, now I have to make her feel better. Legally.

             "What do you mean?" I asked swatting him off again and popping up next to her, all of my friends being giants. "It's obviously derived from both Laiyati and Vovian, though written a little different it is still very beautiful," I hummed staring at the tall loops and many dots, I'd be shocked if I was wrong.

              With the way she beamed I'll have to say I'm not. "Though, I haven't a clue how to read Vovian, most Vovian books having been destroyed making learning it rather pointless, but it's easily designatable by the placement and frequency of the dots. The Vovian were more beast than person, after all, they hardly had thumbs," I smiled, misplacing her attention to avoid having to attempt to read whatever her standing card said.

            "More beast than man...?" She asked, taking the bait while I tilted my head and grinned. 

             "Indeed, they were much like that of a werewolf on the night of a full moon. They were capable of standing on two legs but rarely did so as their arms were much too long and far too heavy to make such a thing comfortable not to mention the shape of their spines. They came in different shapes and sizes, all deprived from different animals, it's said that the werewolf is actually a descendant of the Vovian but this was disproved a few years back," I hummed, happy to share my knowledge.

           "Though, it's believed that not all actually went extinct and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that many beasts are actually closely related to them-"

             "What about the Dryse?" Adrain asked, putting his hands behind his ears to mimic their wide animalistic ears.

                "What about the Vynsa?" Alex added raising to his tiptoes and moving his sword sheath to look like a tail.

                  "Or the Mnyre," They said together, this time attempting to make claws in different ways. My brow twitching at the part I had just been about to explain having been used to cut me off.

            "Yes, as I was about to say, there are traces of them in a handful of different clans. The Dryse have the ears of animals and flat rabbit-like noses, the Mnyre with their large arms and powerful claws, and no, the Vynsa aren't related to the Vovian. Despite appearances, they are two completely different species,"

             "Really? I could have sworn..." Alex mumbled thinking to himself, Ari looking at me with sparkling eyes at his question, expecting more detail. My distraction seeming to have worked on everyone. Whatever. Sighing, I began to explain.

            "The Vynsa and the Vovian coexisted with the Dryse for a very long while, at a point they were considered the same but different. The Vovian were feral, the Vynsa domestic, and the Dryse civilized due to their appearance. Vovian intelligence was often debated but because of their ability to easily communicate with those that they coexisted with had them classified between semi-intelligent and intelligent, their writing leaving them more towards intelligent,

            "Unfortunately, they were later hunted to extinction by the Empire, the Vynsa were also hunted and still are but they know not to venture within the Empire's territory. Their consciousness has never been questioned as they can, with limited difficulty, communicate. Yes, they stand on heightened ankles and have tails like the Vovian but their muzzles are nearly nonexistent and they are not nearly as large,

             "Their ears are on the side of their head like ours and their thumbs are fully developed. They stand upright without difficulty, they're actually a lot like-" Blinking at Ari, my head fell to the side. They were a lot like her, the difference being they were mammals and the length of their muzzles. "... Anyway, the Vynsa and the Vovian are different in the same way a drow is from a high elf,"

           "You know about elves, do you?" Adrain asked, throwing himself back onto me and wiggling his ears. Staring at them, a frown on my lips as his ears were not as low as the common drow's would be I decided that instead of commenting I simply pushed his face away from mine.

            "Or an orc to a goblin," I rolled my eyes, dropping my arm as I couldn't pray him off. 

            "Fundamentally the same but on a didn't scale?" Glancing at his way of putting it, I licked my lips. No, they're different. It's a wolf to a fox. How many comparisons do you need?

            "... Roughly," I sighed as we finally rounded the corner to the library.

            "Do you think I would fall into the same category as Vovi... Them," She asked, giving up on the name halfway through.

               "That's a good question that I don't have an answer for. Your clan is not one I know of nor are you a mammal so I doubt I could give an accurate answer," Freezing, her mood dropping a second time I facepalmed while Adrain snorted and Alex was the next to attempt to cheer her up- after a firm whack to the back of my head.