Chapter 38

L. M. A. O

              Staring out the window of my room, rolling the black orb the size of a marble between my fingers, I let the wind run through my hair as I watched the dragon bounce between the trees

              Staring out the window of my room, rolling the black orb the size of a marble between my fingers, I let the wind run through my hair as I watched the dragon bounce between the trees. It was a good point. An annoying but good point. I was weak. I had my grades to worry about. Missing class meant falling behind. Falling behind meant failing. Sighing, my head dropped, my hand clenching around the marble before I pushed myself up.

          Tossing the cold thing out of the window I watched as a puddle grew around it, as if it had melted, a tall and featureless creature pulling itself from the puddle that soon formed into its body. It stood slouched, glossy and thin, with long limbs and only three long and thick claw-like fingers on each hand. It didn't have a face, nor ears, just a head with a mouthless jaw. A sleek tail behind it and dragon-like feet holding it up.

         Resting my cheek in my palm I stared at the creature that left my skin to crawl and the hair on the back of my neck to stand. Its mere existence enough to pull at my mana. My dragon was not like that. It had its own mana that it had collected from my magic whenever it could. This thing pulled at it without my permission. To be formed is to be using mana.

        Its head twitched, almost as if sensing my thoughts, before turning up as if looking at me. It was a creature I knew couldn't see. Couldn't hear. Couldn't feel. But it understood in ways I couldn't describe. As if it was truly just the embodiment of mana, sensing mana in a way that allowed it to move, allowed it to hold something akin to senses.

          "You're disgusting" I stated, staring down at it, it responded by tilting its head, shoulders still slouched and claws brushing its knees. "Your existence is not one that should exist," I hummed, leaning into my hand more, my voice not harsh nor soft, simply indifferent as I only spoke the truth. This was not my Animan magic. This was merely mana given a form. An imitation. Something that cracked my core to create. To fathom.

         "But, well, we're the same in that sense," I hummed, throwing my legs over my window and staring down at it. Its arms shot up as if I was to jump, brushing my bare feet while I was left to tilt my head. I didn't offer it a command. Not even a suggestion. Staring at the creature who gently took my ankle in its sharp grasp it pulled away upon drawing blood, looking at its claws with a tilted head. "You're free to do what you want, you know? I don't have a reason to control you at the moment," I said curious, it turned its head to look at me once more, before the sharp claws gently rolled back.

       Leaving three long, dull, fingers. Gently pushing off the frame, I was quickly caught, cold hands holding me from under the arms as I stared at its featureless face. Tilting my head, it mimicked me before slowly lowering me to the ground. My feet found the dirt as I didn't have to strain my neck to look at the thing that I could only reach the stomach of. No, it crouched, hands on its knees, while we continued to stare at each other.