Chapter 20

Glancing at the unknown man talking with the dean I continued my way through the halls. I may not know all the teachers but I did know how strick the dress code was, even for them, and that man definitely hadn't seen the handbook. Adrain's explanation of the best place to escape the librarian's keen eye during self-study pausing upon noticing my drifting attention.

             "Someone you know?" He asked with a raised brow, looking at the slim but seemingly fit man dressed in dark robes. And a cloak. Because that's inconsequence. 

            "No, but I've got the feeling I will soon enough," I mumbled, the dean pausing in his conversation to meet my gaze, a second later, the unknown man had soon followed his gaze right to me. I narrowed my eyes at the slanted, closed-eyed, smile he gave and the matching wave before I looked away. 

          "Gods, why do I have to run into so many creeps?" I shivered the ominous feeling Vixen gave me crawling up my spine like a hoard of spiders.

            "Creeps? He seemed friendly," Adrain whistled raising both brows and sliding his hands behind his head.

             "Friendly? If he was friendly, do you think the dean would personally escort him?" I asked giving him a side-eye that he matched.

           "Just because someone is a person of power doesn't mean they can't be nice," He shot dodging one of the many around us.

          "Statistically, it does," I countered, slapping the facts in his face.

           "You're a person of power, does that make you a bad person?" He tried while I snorted.

           "It doesn't make me one but I am one, I mean, come on, you not only watched but joined me in my breaking the restricted section," I wiggled the restricted book in my hand, he stared for a moment before rolling his eyes.

           "Teenage rebellion doesn't count," 

           "I'm fifteen, I'm fully aware of what I was and am doing, don't brush my actions into that of my age," I sighed dramatically, tucking the book back into my arms with the others I was holding.

              "Uh-huh, well, Miss Rule-breaker your parents are also people of power," I faltered at that, almost getting dragged into the crowd at the brief stop in my steps.

               "You're right, they are, and they love me, I know that quite well, however, because of the power our house holds, I have to be prepared for the chance I'll be tossed out if I can't get top marks, let alone stay in school," I said honestly, because they did love me, but to dishonor a noble was social suicide. Even if they were family. 

            He didn't say anything, just tugged my arm which kept me from running into an elf I wasn't paying attention to. Frowning I watched the siked elf and apparently quite a few others rush past hollering about a dragon. My eyes widened at the word, I was immediately slapping his arm with my free hand, pushing my stuff into his hands, before racing after them.

           What did it do? Why was it around people? It hates people! Oh gods, what if it hurt someone?! What if it killed someone?!

            Sliding around the corner with my heart in my throat I found the hall far more crowded than normal, so much so that I was not going to be able to get through. Gritting my teeth I looked around, finding the dean and his guest to the side, practically a shield around them as no one dared get close but other than that, there wasn't any space to get through.