Chapter 17

"Oh blazen!" I jolted up, gasping and holding my chest, a face that is getting more and more familiar with each passing day, glared at me. Harder than usual. What'd I do this time?

           "Potions? Really? You aren't here enough, so, clearly, you've got to take up potions, as a first-year might I add, because that's a smart idea," He scolded while I blinked in surprise. Oh. Ooooohhh. "Oh no, do not look at me like that, do you know how hard it is to heal someone with so much mana? Huh? Do you ever wonder why I'm the one that heals you? It's not my job to heal, I'm just supposed to be supervising the other healers, but then you have to show up,"

           "Aaawww, I love you too," I gushed in a baby's voice and moved to hug him but he just roughly pushed on my face. "So, what was wrong with me? I mean, I remember the coughing blood part but I need to know for, like, warnings and stuff," I didn't bother moving his hand from my face as I just left my arms limp by my sides.

            "That wasn't blood," He deadpanned while I actually pulled away, my attention grabbed. "That was pure, completely filtered, mana. You collapsed because your core was overstimulated and your body couldn't handle the amount of mana in your body," He said slowly, reading the report before ripping the page off and scribbling down something different.

          "I didn't hear nor see anything and I suggest you forget everything about this. Now then, due to your unstable amount of mana you did undergo a burst. Thankfully, with your dragon nearby and taking the brunt of it, the damage was limited and one's shield was strong enough to prevent injury. Now, get out, the poor sap that got dragged into bringing your practically dead body to me hasn't left so-" He waved his hand at the door, telling me to shoo and giving me the original paper.

           Taking it I nodded, deciding against saying anything, and got to my feet. Glancing at him I shoved the paper in my bag as I pulled it from the hook it was usually on. That's dangerous. Increasing one's mana to instability? Had I not been a glass mage that couldn't be brushed off. 

           The human body, though not the most suited to magic, was well adapted to it and one of the most balanced in terms of what it could withstand. Drastically increasing one's mana? That's like making a living explosive. And, apparently, with quite a bit of recoil. I shouldn't look into it, I shouldn't even mention it.

          It'd be best to forget it like he's said. 

         Opening the door I came face to face with a very large half-orc. One I knew. One that usually beats me into the ground then apologizes and helps me up. "... Err, An... dre...?" I hoped he'd guide me but he did not. So, I just got the poorly said half-finished name that honestly stemmed from a lazy drow.

            "Alex," He said, realizing what I had tried to do and leaving us in awkward silence.

            "Oh, uh, Lilith," I put my hand to my chest.

             "I know," Damn, that doesn't, that doesn't make me feel any better for forgetting your name. Worse actually. "Are you alright? I was startled when the fourth-year instructor asked me to take you to the infirmary," He scratched the back of his neck while leaning forward, trying not to make me feel as small as I do.

           "Well, I am for the most part... Now, doc says I was in bad shape but..." Glancing back inside I found him making the 'I'm watching you' gesture and immediately stepped in front of the window to his door, "He tends to exaggerate,"

             "I DO NOT YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED FIVE TIMES ALREADY!"

            "Ignore him, now then, what is it you were doing around the potions room?" I asked, steering him away from the door as he looked between me and it.