Chapter 27

"What are you doing?" Jumping at the voice I looked up horrified only to find Adrain.

            "What are you doing?" I let out a breath, holding my chest as my heart hammered. He looked me over slowly before crouching by what I was doing.

           "Don't you have a key to the potions room?" He asked carefully and gently picked up one of the potions I have been selling to the council. His gaze shifting to me sideways upon finding the seal I had quickly decided on. A new question playing in his eyes but he didn't voice it.

           "I do and why are you here?" I asked snatching the potion and shoving the open sphere I was quick to close into the dragon's mouth. Which, having seen the look on his face, made me think that was even more suspicious.

         "... Hmm, alright, well, I'm here because I happened to see you sneak off after dark, which is a thing you don't do because you will always prefer sleep to anything else, and figured it'd be fun to follow. Now, why are you here?" He raised a brow, propping his elbow on his thigh and putting his cheek in hand.

         "That's..." I hesitated, this being something I hadn't planned to share. Or do. I was supposed to let it go. But stars was it an interesting concept. Amplifying mana? That was unheard of and even if it was at a dangerous level I could tweak it. I could tweak it and sell it or just keep it because I need everything I can use to keep up.

         And what if I could do more than just mana? What if I could increase stamina or strength or speed or anything else? Imagine that? I could actually keep up with these monsters if I could do that.

           "Something I shouldn't be..." I wavered before my shoulder slumped and I sighed. I really shouldn't be doing this.

          "Yeah? I figured as much, and aren't these those potions the council's been shipping off all week?"

         "Why do you know that?"

          "Why do you have them?" We stared at one another for a long moment, he just sat there a smile in place, and brows raised while I watched him cautiously. Why did he know that? "Why do you even have a key to the potions room? Why is your magic what it is? How did you get past my shield? Why are you so good at blood magic? Why do you use spells I've never seen?

         "Why do you have a dragon? Why does the fire elite hate you? Why does the earth elite watch you so often? Why did a rogue teacher show up? Why do you always notice him? Why does he always watch you? Why do you get singled out in eighty percent of your physical classes? Why are you ignored so completely in your practical classes?

        "Why do you know so much about different races, their relations, and their origins? Why do you have books in dead languages? How do you know how to read them? Why is your empathy so lacking? Why do you not understand very common things but know things others hadn't so much as heard of? Why do you-"

         "Alright, I got it, you have a lot of questions about me," I cut him off while he just hummed and tilted his head, a pleasant smile in place. "I'll answer one, maybe two, if you answer mine first, why do you know that?" He stared at me for a second before his hand found my hair and he ruffled it.

          "I've already said it but your magic your business, though, I'll just extend that, yeah? Your business is your business. You answer whatever you want whenever you want and I'll do the same. I also brought you a book, actually, because I do have a lot of questions but it's not my business," He said pulling a black journal from his bag. Okay, so you're not going to answer that.

            "I call it the question book." He shook it gently while I stared at it before slowly taking it. True to its name, it was utterly full of questions, one after another, with space for an answer below. It even had an index.

           "... Why's my name on the front?" And why in gold?

           "Future reference, in case you make one for me or Alex or Ari or anyone else," He hummed, not being any less suspicious.

          "Do you do this a lot?"

           "See, so many questions,"

          "No, but really, is this going to become a thing?"

           "Hmm, I wonder,"