Chapter 23

"... Lilith, do they really turn graduates into golems?" The quiet question had my panting self sitting up sharply, having just finished my spearmanship recovery class and just been lying in the grass. "I had heard that the seven kingdoms were a place of hopes and dreams, a place where you can do everything you've ever wanted..."

           "You've been thinking about what I said earlier?" I asked with a wince, my issue with not biting my tongue getting worse. Sighing I scratched the back of my head and decided I'd tell her what I thought of it all. Truth is subjective so even if it was mine that doesn't mean it would be hers.

          "Well, okay, I really shouldn't be the one to tell you this, because I am biased, but you can be whatever you want... As long as your standing supports it. I've only had my standing for about three and a half months now but because one thing was a little more different from the rest I've been living through blazen,

            "I'm not made to do the stuff I'm being forced to do, I'm not sure how many times I end up in the medical wing goes to show just how I'm not cut out for this, but I can't do anything else. I'm a rogue. I'm a war class, I... I don't have any other options. It's war or slums because no one would hire one of war for anything else. I'm here to protect others but I was not given the choice,

            "I'd much rather be a merchant like my father, I'm actually really good at business and money but yeah, I had wanted to be a healer," I fell to the grass, the thought still appealing but useless, "You can be whatever you want to be... As long as you pick from the options you're given and war class, though glorious, only has three. Soldier, mercenary, or slums," Looking at her from my spot in the grass I found her face twisted in both pity and disappointment, I wouldn't have been shocked if she'd started to cry with a few more words.

              "But-" I pulled her down to stare at the stars with me, "That doesn't mean you can't be different, I'm as different as one gets. I've got the magic of an aid, a class for war, and a type... Well, lead's can be anything as long as they're at the top I suppose. And, yeah, I'm better at business and I'd much rather be a healer, and sure, I've suffered to the point I don't cry at the breaking of a bone or even blink at being stabbed through-"

           Clearing my throat, I corrected the path my words were taking, "Getting to the point, despite it all, I'm good at using my head, I don't need to be the picture-perfect war lead when I can be something no one has ever seen before. I'm different, and I hate that, I really do, but that doesn't mean I can't use it. My magic though weak is easy to use and my mana great, I can't hit hard but I can hit plenty, I'm not skilled but I am fast enough to get away with it, and well, no one ever said you can't compensate with other means,"

            I grinned, pulling a potion from my bag laying right beside me to raise it. The stars lighting up the vibrate purple beautifully. "I'm different, I'm weak, but I'll be damned if that'll stop me,"

            "... You're good at this cheering up thing," She said softly, "You know... I'm different from my tribe as well, we aren't a race very proficient in magic, we're supposed to be big and strong. I'm... Not. I'm short and I'm weak and I've never been any good with a sword-" I glanced at her at that, she was small? She's like six and a half feet tall. "- But magic, well everyone was poor at it, I've always been good at it. Then I got here, my first day, the uniform wasn't for one such as myself, the person I thought to be untouchable was beaten so severely I threw up, twice, the meals weren't even meals, and everyone was so much better than me. Even with magic. The one thing I thought myself good at,

          "People stared and pointed, but with one look at who I was with no one approached which... I'm not sure was a bad thing. You and your people... I was told you'd be welcoming but you weren't. You were all rude and brash and selfish-" Sitting up I put my arm on my knee and looked back at her with a grin.

           "That's right, we are rude, brash, and selfish, I'm the weakest around but no one bothers me, the uniforms aren't suited for those with a tail or claws such as yours, the food they serve isn't even food, and we are all very unwelcoming," I agreed, "You want to know what I do when I've got complaints, which I've got a lot of?" I asked getting to my feet and offering her my hand, my other planting on my hip.

            "I sort them, can I fix these myself, can I fix these with help, and do these need to be fixed. If I can fix them myself, I make a plan to do so, if I need help I ask and if they're things that I can't or don't need to be fixed, I do my favorite thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't complain because there's no harm in it and it can help but if you're going to complain you've got to think of a solution while you do so," 

           "... Your favorite thing?" She asked taking my hand, pulling the heavy girl to her feet with a waver to my grin, a bright blue light glowing around us I began to laugh.

             "I fly," The dragon roared from above us.