Chapter 43

Y'all I'm like really dyslexic over here, if I spell shit wrong tell me cause I can not tell even after proofreading, if it looks slightly right I will leave it without knowing.

            "Why are you here?" I didn't even look up, working on a potion I figured would bring attention from them but not before it was done. My friends a mix of annoying at the moment, Ari watching me as if I was a fool, Alex opening calling me one, and Adrain still avoiding me despite my having tried to apologize for crossing a boundary I hadn't been aware of.

           "You have had a week off, that is plenty of a holiday," He stated, having came himself. Pausing, I sighed, looking up at my dean, who had finished licking his wounds, leaving me plenty happy there was no one in here. He liked to cause me problems by popping up while I was around others.

           "Yes, well, I was told I could do so for as long as I wanted, so, if you have a problem, do take it up with my mother." I didn't even offer him my father, annoyed enough already and his face just making it worse. "I'm recovering you see,"

          "... What is this?" He asked, noticing the potion I was working on, the one that was a deep red rather than a vibrant purple like those that I sell him.

         "Unfinished," I stated without looking away from the book I was reading. The book explaining to me why I could only make it work for me. It wasn't of much use if I couldn't sell it. I had things I wanted to do.

       "But you are working on a new potion?" Pausing I looked at him with as much disgust as he made me feel by asking that question. He blinked in surprise at the reaction, removing his hand from the desk I was working on, and cleared his throat.

      "Yes, do you want me to drop it and see if it'll explode?" I offered with a narrowed gaze, the hostility definitely catching him off guard. "I hear, that's all the rage on the battlefield these days," I clued him in, snapping my book shut.

        "What is done with the potions after sale is none of your-"

       "Business? Wish it worked like that, really, I do, but it doesn't. I make them. Me. Just me. But, yeah, whatever, we're desperate and losing, I'll get over it," I spit, rolling my eyes, "Rather, drink this," I shove it at him, the finishing touch not in it, while he stared at it. "Come now, you can't expect me to make anything new without some kind of risk,"

       "What is it-"

       "None of your business, drink it," I pressed, forcing it into his chest and leaving him to take it hesitantly. Looking at the book he had no chance of reading he looked back at me. "Hurry up," I said flatly, staring at him. "There are plenty of healing mages, you won't die, it's even after lunch, James is available,"

       Opening his mouth, he did drink it, leaving me to stare harder. Waiting. Watching. Setting the vial down on the stand I had it originally; He opened his mouth again with an almost apologetic look on his face. However, a dark figure grew behind him, one with sharp claws. Twisting with reactions faster than I expected, he completely dodged the attack. Tilting my head, I watched as he very quickly shattered the black head and turned to me with a glare.

         I suppose even a sneak attack wouldn't work on one of his level. However, I certainly didn't think he would be able to notice the thing so silent and lacking all warmth leaving it hard for even me to notice. Well, mana was a good giveaway for me. He wasn't a glass mage though, so sensing the mana would be difficult, I suppose if he has been in close enough contact with a glass mage for long enough that would leave him able to pick it out but even then.

         "What do you think you're doing?!" A very fierce glare. Too bad. The arm swung, not caring for the loss of its head, and left him to recoil again, getting away from it just as effortlessly. Hmmm. "Lilith! Stop this instant!" He growled, but instead of listening, a second newer puddle grew.

        The identical figure rushed forward, successfully taking him by surprise this time. Roughly shoving its long claws into his side I hummed as it shattered. The man stilling as both immediately melted into nothing but marbles. "Call it a demonstration," I pulled a tight smile, turning my stool and scribbling in my notebook, having been right.

           "Who do you think you are?" He glared, very quickly getting back to me, grabbing my shirt, and hauling me out of my seat while I found irritation growing just as much as my throat dried.

           "I'm the teenager you lied to, the one whose back you're riding on," I didn't hesitate to snap back. "Also, the one that has found a way to not only get past a conquered barrier but provide physical strengthening as well, now, put me down before I really start getting mad." We started at each other for a long moment, before he slowly put me down.

       "...What was that?" He asked again, slightly softer.

       "A potion meant to allow harden the skin, providing a second layer of protection without the need of constant attention to maintain, from what I have gathered, as long as you aren't hit with something hard and blunt with something behind you, you will come out fine, only mild pain when beaten with a blunt weapon," I didn't hesitate to explain this time, "I had been struggling to figure out why it was only working with me, however, I figured it out with your help,"

       "Help," glancing at the sarcasm I went back to my notes. "And the creatures?"

        "Something you are already aware of," I cut off his attempt, "Plus, I can't even be separated from them, they do not have their own mana pools, I have to feed their mana directly," I rolled my eyes having already gotten used to his trying to buy anything he could ship off to war. From what I could gather, that included people. But I wasn't going to be the one to tell Ari about the treaty between her clan and my kingdom. She was happy, tired sure, but happy. I wasn't going to ruin it.

        "Define separate." My quill stopped while my grip tightened, but I didn't look up. Knowing that if I did, I would say something, something not even I could walk away from.

       "... They are still a new concept to me, I haven't quite adapted to the level of mana I need to feed them, therefore, with the risk of a burst caused by my not being able to control my overall mana output at all times I will have to put that question and the one under it on hold," I said carefully slowly looking up at him with a less than pleasant smile.

          "But your dragon is a mana pool in and of itself, correct?" He asked, a little more curious but slightly condescending. Like he expected me to understand things the moment I made them. The moment I thought up their concept.

        "No," I stated flatly, narrowing my eyes. "Vitreus is a fully separate creature created from my magic, he has a mana pool of his own, which he mostly uses for regeneration and creation magic. Latro is different, they can take multiple forms, leaving no place for a proper mana pool, especially one that would allow them to do as I needed. So I am the mana pool they can't form," I explained, the lie leaving my lips pleasantly as my eyes fell closed with a smile.

        "Mulitple forms?" He asked, sitting while I turned back to my notes, his questions not the usually hidden ones I could ignore.

          "You saw it, there were two," I hummed, two black puddles growing on the floor with a glowing red circle beneath them. The tall thin creatures pulling themselves from the circles. "They require no mana to summon or maintain much like Vitreus, to move and reform, they don't need my help, but to regenerate, they need mana they do not have," I half lied, every move they made, every shape they took, and every limb they regrow. It was all taxing on my mana.

         "So they are essentially immortal as long as you have the mana to spare?" The silence between us grew heavy the longer I didn't answer. My gaze slowly turned to him as I spun the quill in my hand and leaned back in my chair. The truth a dangerous one to tell a man so hungry for a weapon but a lie one that could be far more dangerous to my well-being.

         "... So you want me to return to class?"