Chapter 16

After kicking me out for nearly an hour so they could discuss amongst themselves because I, obviously, have nothing better to be doing. I got a glare when I was pulled back in by the fire elite because I had taken the long, forced, wait to read but he didn't directly insult me. Just gave that disgusted look he seems to always have when looking at me. 

            So, you know, nothing different there.

           Regardless of the issues he has with that misfortune of a face of his, they asked more about my potion but I shut down all questions about the recipe before they could even get the rest of it off their lips. Oh, I'm sorry, did you not know I'm the daughter of a merchant? Well, that's a new fact for you and also why would I ever give information I could make money off away for free?

            No. Just- no. I don't care if I'm afraid of that lot. Money is money and I will die for it. Willingly. 

            Anyway, they took all of the remaining potions, except one that they claim I can 'use for comparison' because they clearly understand potion-making. Having been shut down for the recipe, I was encouraged(*cough cough* urged aggressive *cough cough*) to make more for them. The dean even used it as an excuse to actually give me the key he was supposed to give me well over three weeks ago.

          Upon seeing this, Miss H gave a mighty glare that promised a later argument. Ushering me out of the room she properly encouraged my potion-making, without any greedy undertones, and even let me keep all my books and notebooks. Which was amazing. I was not going to be able to make this without those.

            Which leaves us here, with me in front of a mirror, having finished everything for the day and still not seen the damage of yesterday's fiasco. I had been far too busy with makeup classes to so much as look at myself. And I couldn't seem to make a mirror to save my life. I tried. A lot. 

          Leaning to the side gently I held my cheek and ran my finger over the pinkish whitish mix of skin along the side of my face. Did I turn my head or something? I had expected more. Though, my ear did look wonky and it did run along the side of my head more than my face. Maybe two inches, two and a half inches, along the entire right side of my face?

        It stretched to my eye thankfully that was working just fine, other than missing half my eyebrow, but it really hadn't been as bad as I thought it would have been. Leaning back I touched the mirror and looked over my torso, my hair brushed over my other shoulder. It wasn't very prominent on my neck but enough so that you didn't have to look twice to find it.

          Running my fingers along the curve of my shoulder I tapped it lightly with my forefinger and middle finger. It drew past my collar bones to nearly half my right chest, it pulled down just below the hip, turning I looked over my bony shoulder and pulled my hair in front of me. 

          It wrapped around the back of my head to maybe three inches before half, my scalp showing with the pink-white dips of my skin, which was quite curious and truly telling me I had turned my head before the blast. Just as aggressively as the front it reached a fourth of the way across my back, halfway to my slightly visible spine, fading the further it got away.

           Raising my arm, which had the worst of it, I slowly ran my fingers down my side. It wasn't that much lighter than my arm. Narrowing my brown eyes, I went through the effort of actually inspecting my arm. With how horribly burned it is I'm quite shocked at how effortless it is to move. Though a little tight it really does feel as if nothing had happened.

          He had mentioned surgery. Did he sever the melted skin? I thought as I looked between my fingers. The skin was certainly more scarred around my fingers, wrist, and elbow. Even just under my arm looked as if it had a little assistance. Opening and closing my hand I rolled my wrist and hummed.