Chapter 30

Vince(Rogue teacher dude) POV

            "The glass lead under your care is a very... Peculiar girl, we actually call you here because of this. Despite what you think, that girl's magic isn't weak, trust me, she knows how to use so well that it wouldn't take much more than a thought for it to be deadly. She's... Hah, she's got a shocking amount of tricks up her sleeves and she's quick-witted and yeah, she doesn't really act like it often, but she's definitely a rogue.

          "She doesn't like to put in more effort than she has too and absolutely sucks at anything that requires physical exertion but she get's insanely intense when it comes to tests and I doubt being around people will suddenly change that- oh, and, don't wake her up. She's the worst when you wake her up,"

           I hadn't thought much of it when she had originally said that, she's always been one to mess with others, and putting me on guard against a glass mage would definitely give her something to laugh about for the next century, but it didn't take me more than a day to see her. Not to mention the fact she didn't hide that she knew I saw her.

         And it continued. Weird little things that wouldn't mean much alone but added up. Fast. Then that effortless escape from a crowded corridor. Anything from her subtle use of blood magic to her quick notice of anyone looking her way. I had expected an utter monster and that's what I got- in her practical classes.

       It didn't take more than a few peaks to find her miraculously keeping up and even answering questions. Her paper tests the top of her class with undeniable detail. She pays attention and even goes out of her way to know more. But the physical classes...

          I didn't have the highest expectations, having been warned of her abilities, but I seemed to have developed some having seen her academic skill and resourcefulness. It had been... Disappointing to find that she struggled so heavily to maintain mediocrity. I will attempt that she was fast and her eyes always seemed to follow others exceptionally well but she lacked the skill and strength to stand against both leads and professionals. Had she had stamina she would fair far better but that too was lacking. If she could withstand the unreasonable horror I've found in these walls she would be a devastating weapon.

           And when I say if she could withstand I don't mean mentally. I've seen her go to the medical wing so many times I'm genuinely shocked she's still able to stand let alone walk. Now, though lacking physical skill, she was still exceptionally difficult to read and was so capable she was taking a third-year extracurricular- in her free time.

           From what I hear, she's also knowledgeable in multiple languages, which makes it even harder to understand her. Plus I've seen many deals of some sort going on between her and multiple members of the council. With those she keeps around it's a wonder that I try. A newly discovered clan? That beastly bastard of an elf? An orc marquis's son?

           It's horribly inconsistent and her behavior changes around each of them, a neutral falling when around more than one. I expected a quick but well-thought-out plan and maybe a few traps. Yet here I am. Watching her throw herself over the back of a nearly clear dragon with expert precision like it did not just appear out of thin air.

           The most interesting part? Edward watched indifferently. Like he knew.

          Locking its claws around her teammates, which, interestingly enough, were two of her three companions. It shot straight up with a harsh twirl, the girl upon it laughing wildly and the boys in the claws shouting just as loudly.

         "Why was I not told that she had a dragon?" I asked watching its wings catch the light as it flew deep into the forest with my students- deep enough that I wasn't going to be able to catch up until at least tomorrow, that is, under the assumption that she'll come down at any point. "I feel as if that's cheating, that is cheating, yes?"

           "No, it is not, magic is allowed and encouraged for this exercise. I had sent Izabelle to warn you of her... Oddities, you should have been prepared for everything." Mhmm, because I, anyone really, would be prepared for a dragon. I'm confident that you were anything but prepared when you first saw it. You elites would flip the moment something like that happened.

            "Yes, indeed, I should have been ready to use the dragon protocol, because dragons aren't at all creatures that need a small army and at least two elites to kill." He gave the usual stare down upon my sarcasm and I preceded to do what I do best.

           Ignore it, him really.

          He was always nitpicking about anything remotely rude but being a man who only knew such things that was understandable. I mean, if you're such a massive buzzkill no one's willingly going to like you.

         "Vince, we've given you, and only you, both access and permission to use very expensive potions." Aw yes, the best weapon we currently hold against the empire.

          "And here I had assumed I was expected to get used to using them- not use against a dragon and a student that seems to control it,"

          "It's best that you be careful with these, they're rather easy to break unintentionally and the last to do so blew up an entire wing in my academy," He deadpanned, ignoring me, and lifting the case that I easily guessed the contents of.

            Oh yes, don't at all explain this extremely dangerous weapon and send me after your students. A truly brilliant idea that one is! What's the worst I could do? Kill them? Set fire to your oh-so-precious forest? The school maybe? Yep yep yep, nothing to worry about. Nothing at all.

           And you wonder why the supports despise you leads.

            Shaking my head lightly, I took the case with no further explanation, knowing just how unwilling leads were to give them. Do as they say when they say that's all the information you need. As cocky as one could get.

          With a roll of my eyes, I looked at the fine but thick suitcase and glanced at the man that thinks himself a king before opening it. Blinking at the skillfully placed orbs I ran my fingers over the glass racks they were quite literally attached to. This was something only a glass mage could do.

          I found my gaze drifting back to the man talking with the only glass mage I had ever seen within his vicinity other than a strange student. She chatted as she always did, unusually comfortable with the man. They've always gotten along, even long before they had become elites.

          They have yet to tell anyone which potionsmaster had been the one to create such a devastating potion. Which was abnormal in its own right but this? This meant it was either a glass mage or someone working with one.

         Looking back at the many orbs, I easily broke the thin line of glass attaching the orb to the top frame, and carefully turned it in between my fingers. Staring at the stamp-like protrusion I had no plan of finding I couldn't help the disbelieving laugh.

           The side of a dragon's head placed over two thin potion bottles in an 'X' formation.

          Whoever did such a thing sure has a lot of guts. A stomach stronger than steel really. If it really was the person that came to mind then I'd be less than shocked to find such a thing but if it was literally anyone else I'm quite amazed they're still breathing.

          Dragons were a sign of the violent, the brutal, they tore into anything slightly self-aware. To blatantly state you're willing to do the same? Let alone do so to the council? Stars, the stomach on that one.

            Potions were mostly useless at war until recently and damn did these shake the very foundation of the battlefield but finding out their unnamed creator was so god-forsakenly gutsy? It was nearly a paradox.

            They want to stand out but stay anonymous. Now I have to find out just who made them- but until then, I've got some pesky little brats to catch.