Chapter 42

"I hear you were bullying Adrian." Groaning I looked away from my book and to Ari, who was a teasing purple.

         "I didn't mean to!" I grumbled, her tail flicking with mischief.

         "Ye'hak ye vo tiefil?" She grinned, covering her mouth, making me scowl and toss my pencil at her. It hardly being a question, before pushing more. "Do you? Do you?"

         "I will have you know that we were having a very meaningful conversation! I didn't just snatch him up and tease him!" I pointed at her, not wanting to know what it meant when one teased another in her clan. I could guess with the growing blue stripes.

          "Aye! You admit to it?" Sighing, I dropped my head onto my desk. I had apparently taken it too far, as Alex keeps telling me every time I try to go to Adrian's room, but I didn't even know what I took too far! I mean, yeah sure, I had teased him, I was surprised to see him get embarrassed over something like that, but I mean. We had just been wrestling? Right?

        "We fight all the time in class, why does a little wrestling equal too farrrrrrr?" I groan, turning my head and resting my cheek against the wood, staring at her as she blinked in surprise.

       "You are incredibly wise, I can not tell if you are faining ignorance or not." Pausing, I sat up and tilted my head, not sure what she meant. "Dear dragons, you are serious?!" She jumped, startled by whatever thing I did not know.

       "What?" I asked, pushing my chair back and looking her over skeptically.

        "I can not believe that you of all people do not know that he-" The door was swung open roughly, Alex quickly glaring at her. Looking between them wildly, my brows furrowed I tried to figure out what they were hiding.

       "What are you doing?" He asked deadly calm staring at the horned girl who froze.

       "... Is it customary to hide?" She asked hesitantly, looking him over.

       "Unless spoken of by those involved," He nodded firmly, making her blink before jumping.

      "Oh, I nearly-! How rude! I must go apologize immediately!" She raced out without so much as a seconds delay, leaving me to stare at the door she had run from.

        "What is customary?" I asked, looking at Alex who, once again, looked at me with tired eyes and offered a sigh so deep I worried he may deflate.

         "Even with that much you still don't get it?" He asked putting his hands on his hips. Something that is to be hidden unless spoken of by those involved? Especially in regards to what happened with me and Adrian? We weren't plotting to break any rules or laws. Nor were we thinking of comebacks to those of poor personality. Hmmm. "You are ridiculously stupid in the weirdest of ways,"

        "What do you mean?!" I asked exasperated, "Does Adrian know? I'll just go ask him-"

        "No, you will not, you have harassed him enough for a lifetime," He blocked my way making me gape.

       "We wrestle all the time! Why is it harassing when it's Adrian??" I whined scratching at my head with both hands, confused as to what the big deal was.

        "Yes, and we can easily wrestle, however, we do not wrestle in the same way as you had been," He tried to hint, clearly, with the lean and gentle wave of his hand. My brain racking with whatever he could mean. "Alright, you know what, come here," He grabbed my arm and dragged me to the bed. Flopping on it, he pulled me making me stumble and fall onto his chest.

         Easily putting me on his stomach he grabbed my hands and rested them on either side of his head, before crossing his arms over his chest and staring up at me flatly. Blinking, confused I tilted my head, and he narrowed his eyes at my reaction. "How do you feel right now, looking at me, here,"

         "What do you mean-"

           "Answer the question." Opening my mouth I closed it, clearly not going to get an answer. Looking him over, his jaw square as his small tusks gently poked out from his thin lips, his high nose lacking even a small blemish, and his thick brows unamused. His short hair was slightly ruffled against my pillow, and his uniform almost perfect. My head fell to the side as I tried to figure it out again.

         "I still don't get it," I said honestly, staring down at him. He stared back for a long moment before sighing just as heavily as before.

         "If I was Adrian?" He pressed, offering another hint as I looked over his face in confusion.

         "Like if-"

           "You were on top of Adrian right now," He finished with a firm nod. Tilting my head, I looked over him again, the image of an embarrassed Adrain coming to mind easily as I very quickly sat up. Blinking in surprise at the action I grabbed my chin, why did I retreat? It was just goofing off? I was totally fine with it being Alex?

        "I get it!" I said, putting my fist to my palm. "This is what you call a friendship difference," I proclaimed proudly. "My mom says that you just feel more comfortable doing certain things with certain people," I nodded, it making sense. I crossed the line because Adrian might be a person of skinship but not one that enjoys wrestling. I just happened to have preferences with who I wrestle with, likely due to the fact that Alex and I are well aware of boundaries.

          Looking down expecting praise I found an expression I couldn't even describe instead. With a mixture of pity, disgust, and exhaustion Alex covered his face. "That poor boy," He mumbled before sitting up as well, still straddling him I tilted my head, nothing else coming to mind. Instead of saying anything, his large hand found my hair. "I guess you are trying,"

        "I have never not tried," I blinked while he pulled another indescribable face.

        "So, so, stupid," He sighed, picking me up and setting me on the ground. "Gods," He shook his head running his hand through his hair.

        "My practical grades are better than yours!" I snapped, unsure where this sudden attack was coming from.

        "Yes, yes," He waved me off with a roll of his eyes.