Chapter 22

"Gahh!" Flinching up I shivered and held my jaw, moving my tongue in my mouth I pulled a face as my mouth felt weird. I don't know, it was right but a little to the left and I don't mean that it was crooked, more of 'eh, that seems right but you may have moved everything in my house two inches to the left.'

             "I'm going to start giving you times where you can and can't be in here," James growled while I moved my jaw with my free hand.

           "You already do that," I rolled my eyes falling back on the stiff bed better than the boards in my room.

            "Yeah, well, I'm going to..." His threat dying off and glare coming in hard. "Get out," Humming I pushed myself off the bed and rolled to my feet. With a lazy wave over my shoulder, I grabbed my bag and walked out. Two very large people waiting for me.

           "Erh... You know you'll have to do a recovery class for helping, right?" I asked looking the green boy up and down. The plump girl was now a similar green, though, she had stripes of different colors and spots to match. She didn't have to worry about that as she was only following me around today much like how I wandered around my first day.

         "Yeah, that's what the professor said," He smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head. Narrowing my eyes slightly, completely unwilling to do the same for him, I looked him over once more from behind the girl bigger than myself but a little shorter than him. Unless horns count for height. Then she was taller.

          "Is- is there a problem with recovery classes?" She asked, the words causing me physical pain as I leaped away from her hissing. She stared, startled, while Alex pulled me away from her by the top of my head and a little of my face. 'Cause his hands are the size of freaking melons.

         "Well... Let's just say what you saw us doing in class is easily considered child's play compared to a recovery class. You at least work with other students in class," He mumbled the last part before his shoulders sagged. "Okay, I may regret this,"

          "As you should, why would you ever do it voluntarily?" I shivered at the thought, I'd much rather put a dagger through my chest than volunteer to do one.

           "I felt bad! I didn't mean to hit you that hard!" He groaned with his head falling into his hands.

             "I may not remember everything clearly, other than searing agony in my face area, but I'm almost sure you were told not to pull your punches," I raised a brow brushing off my trousers and crossing my arms.

           "Do you really want that?" "YOU WILL DO NO SUCH THING!" All three of us looked to the head healer's office while he frantically shook his hand, his arms flying around dramatically- and me quickly standing in front of the window on his door with my hands on my hips and a grin on my lips.

           "Not at all but you forget our slogan here at Dragon Valley," I said extra pleasantly, not wanting to get beat more than I already do but also currently costing him in his own education.

           "Work towards your goal," He sighed now only with one hand on his face, "Even if comes at the cost of others,"

             "Try it! It'll be more bene- beneficial," I grunted struggling to keep the door shut as he desperately tried to get out and stop what I was doing. "We should go," I strained with a smile, the both of them looking from me to each other. 

          "Just so you know, I hate that slogan," He gave me a pointed look crossing his arms and walking away. She followed him fiddling with her fingers and looking at me worried. Glass now covering the door frame I rushed after them looking over my shoulder, his shouting quieter. 

          "Well, hate or not, the whole, help someone get punished thing just goes to show their priorities so just don't swim against the current," I shrugged wiping my hands free of the scolding.

           "You say a lot of things that'd suggest you don't like the school," He changed the subject looking down at me while I didn't even look at him.

            "Yeah well, it isn't like they're hinting to the fact they're brainwashing children to do their bidding with soul-sucking and both mentally and physically exhaust us until we're nothing but golems interested in whatever goals they decided to feed us when the time comes," I hummed blandly, digging through my bag for my crystals as I take them off for my physical classes.

             "Wooow, that's depressing," He whistled, seemingly having no other response. He wasn't shocked nor surprised. So that means he had come up with a similar theory. So I really wasn't the only one, huh? Which means we really are just not talking about it.

            "Life is depressing," I shot without missing a beat, this time, he looked back down at me. 

           "It only is if you make it," Narrowing my eyes at him I turned my attention to Arinorae who had been silent during our little firing match. 

            "Well, you'll get to see later today just how bad recovery classes are because I'm probably going to have to do at least two so that's fun,"