Chapter 14

"Again?" I grunted, the failure being moved away from my face and my eyes finding the recipe. Grave soil? Not graveyard soil? Gods, why do they have to be so picky about it? I don't want to be the creep taking grave soil. It was bad enough going to a graveyard for soil.

        The dragon beside me pawed at the large ord roughly the size of my head, which was full of failures. I sighed and took it, easily opening the sphere and dumping the latest into the batch, closing it just as easily I rolled it to the dragon, shrilling it just chased after it and tripped, rolling around it.

          I can't even get most of the ingredients and those I can I read wrong half the time. I'm being serious when I say I can't get them too. It ranged from a liar's tongue to the breath of a dragon. Things no living person could collect.

        Griffon feathers? No thanks, I ain't dying like that. Dragon's scale? Um, no, I don't have a death wish. Vampire blood? I'm not gonna be that weirdo. Werewolf fur? I'm not gonna- no. One thing after another I'd either die or get reported before I could ever get my hands on it.

            Sighing I leaned back on the tree, rolling my shoulder with a moan. Hand-to-hand was not kind today. I was pitted against a half-orc. Who was like super nice but it was not a situation where I wasn't going to get beat into the ground. And I mean, he helped me up every time he did it only... I think that just made it worse.

        Stretching I looked at my book again and brought one of my many crystals to my lips. Whispering the spell and reminder I kissed it. Dropping it, it bounced lightly on its string while I got to my feet with a pop of... Everything.

         Shivering, most of my joints having just popped, I collected my stuff and slid them into the bag dad finally sent. Space magic is honestly a lifesaver. I don't think I could continue to drag everything around if it meant losing all feeling in my arm. Looking at the large orb being knawed on by the dragon I looked at my bag. Not happening. Taking it with a little resistance I just split the glass into a few smaller orbs. All still bigger than my hand but hey, it was easier to carry them. 

          Bouncing to a jog, I easily raced out of the forest I had grown used to in the last two weeks. I was originally only going to hide in the tree line but then, a thought had crossed my mind. The tournament's going to take place here this year. Where would there be enough space for so many students?

         Anyway, having released that I started going deeper into it every day. Which is great, usually, but today I still had self-study. As in, I was too deep and terrified I would miss it and have to do a recovery class. They were blazen. No, they were like the bloody pit.

          Kicking off a tree I easily got over a log and glanced at the dragon who was keeping up well. Either way, I did learn something fun in my last recovery class, which was the worst. Potions don't count towards your grades or extracurricular if you don't have supervision or a special little key. Which I should have. But still don't.

           I was told one thing, that it proves you made it yourself, but you can easily figure out it was because leads don't make potions. They're worried you'll screw up and blow up a building or something. But, to be fair, nothing's really a lead thing other than to take charge and bark orders.

          They're good at that.

          Holding my snort as my boots found the cobblestone I slowed my jog to a stroll. Readjusting my grip on the four spheres I looked to my dragon just before turning the corner. Finding it there I looked forward. And ran right into someone.

          Stumbling lightly I reached for the orb that slipped from my arms only to pale as all I did was hit it further away. Watching in horror, not knowing how it'd react, I let out a breath of relief when the dragon leaped around it. Rolling to a stop it looked up at me, the orb hugged to its chest.

          Thank the stars- it bit it. The dragon bit the orb. Breaking it in its jaws with ease. Before I knew what was happening the sky was lit in flames and I was set flying with the two I bumped into. The orbs in my hands flew free and shattered all the same, the only difference was the wall of metal between us and them.

            Hissing I held my head, everything spinning and a ringing pounding on the inside of my ears. Looking around I found people rushing over, their mouths moving but no sound coming out. Moving to sit up I whimpered as everything in me protested, the last thing I remember being the familiar earth mage above me shouting something rather muffled.