Chapter 44

Now, while Edward got over my little demonstration, apparently, he has shared with his fellow elites that I had attacked him in it. To attack an elite is an act of treason. One I had not hesitated in. But he pissed me off so. You know. Anyway, I wasn't being punished in the traditional beheaded way or the more recent and interesting way of shatterings one's mana core leaving them without magic altogether, interesting concept really, a fate worst than death even, no, I was being punished in a more humiliating way.

        The fucking fire elite. I swear on my family name, I will drag him to death's door at least once in the future. Now, while I firmly believe merely mentioning Aervin alone was understandable, if you've been in the same proximity of him for longer than three seconds you would completely understand, however, that wouldn't be helpful to those that had the luck to have never been so close.

       The man, boy really, was making me do a second demonstration! With my taking the potion and his proving its ability. While it is definitely a wonderful and helpful thing, it merely protects the outermost layer of one's body. And he was a fire mage. Who used a war hammer.

        Hissing, the pain definitely dulled but more than present as he tried to break my spine with the uselessly heavy hammer. Rolling I skidded to all fours and glared at him and his surprised face. So you really did want to paralyze me, huh? Fuck you. With a surprised cry I jolted to my feet at the warmth behind me, turning around at the fire a close combat specialized shouldn't be able to conjuser I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

        Whipping around I came face-to-face with the large and flat metal that would have found the back of my head. I slide against the dirt the moment I collided with the ground only stopping when I found a tree. Groaning, my world spinning, I pushed myself to all fours again. Another groan left my mouth as everything moved and warmth seeped down my face.

         Getting to my feet shakily I wiped my nose and stumbled, catching myself on the tree that had shaken at the force of my hitting it. This wasn't even a demonstration. He was just beating me. "You're bleeding? Has it worn off already?" Came the disappointed voice but despite that, his arms continued to swing.

           Looking at the low swing wholeheartedly aimed at my leg, my heartbeat slamming into my skull, I ground my teeth and for the first time actually bother to do something. Leaping forward, I used that heavy hammer of his as a stepping stone to swing myself around his torso. With a fast and sudden change of weight he was falling back as I grappled the arm unoccupied by a hammer I didn't want to deal with.

         By the time his back had found the ground, my legs were locked around his stupid neck and I was pulled at his stupid arm with every intention to break it. He grunted, actually straining his arm and successfully picking me up before slamming me onto the ground. Unfortunately for his yelling self, I had hardly felt a thing and just pulled on his shoulder harder. His struggles continued, hitting what he could with his free arm, trying to roll free, slamming into the ground a few more times before the strength in his arm was gone.

          And a loud very satisfying snap found my ears.

         Had I dislocated his shoulder? No. I did something far better for me and farrrrr worse for him. I snapped his elbow. Just as quickly as I had him pinned, I had been torn from him, his shouting far louder as he was being roughly handled, a healer trying to put it in a healable position but it was a joint. That would need a few things before it could be considered healable. Someone was shouting in my face just the same, I believe the water elite but with the world all burry I couldn't say for sure.

        Just like that, I found the darkness, falling limbing into the arms on my shoulders.

         "Aaarggh," I jolted, glaring at the needle in my hand used to wake me, it was a more recent thing, and a painful one too. Looking at James, who didn't even look at me, and instead continued a conversation with the other healer, words I knew separately but not together being thrown around as my head pounded.

          "You attacked an elite," Came the cold voice of my headmaster, looking at the man casting a shadow over the very sunny field not far from the class to our left.

          "I was bleeding and he chose to continue," I grumbled, covering my eyes.

         "This is the second time,"

          "No one likes to be assaulted, he had it coming," I didn't bother to defend myself, the deal they set was he could go until it wore off. My bleeding may not have been it wearing off but as far as they knew it was.

            "And I?"

            "You were helping me, you could have said no," I grunted, sitting up as hands removed themselves from me and returned to the elite cursing not far from me.

           "Hardly,"

           "Not the point, you gonna kill me or not?" I glared ruffling my now dirty hair, the ribbon holding the mass behind me knotted in my hair. Scuffing, that going to be a problem later, I pushed myself to my feet.

      "I could," He narrowed his eyes, crossing his burly arms over his chest, offended by my not exactly caring.

     "Aight, do it," I shot with a roll of my eyes. I can't say I wanted to die but I certainly haven't been having too much fun being alive as of recently and with some new information, courtesy of a holy beast, it would probably be better that I die young.

        "... You still haven't returned to your classes," He went with instead leaving me to snicker as I brushed off my uniform, which I did wear with the intention of going to class. Then I was summoned to be beaten by an elite five years older than me. So, you know, I couldn't exactly get to class.

         "Well, for your information, I think I may just drop out," I said honestly, easily making an obsidian dagger and cutting the ribbon free, working the hair stuck in it out.

         "Your father would never allow-!" He rushed, very quickly moving to my side to convince me otherwise but easily being cut off.

         "I'd just tell my mother, you forget who holds my house, you see, especially after today, I have done nothing but what you've asked of me but you have proven continuously petty. Worse case situation, I'm disowned, but takes to that less-than-willing job you gave me, I do have the funds to make it without getting sold off like property by some empire trash. So, I don't exactly have a reason to be here," I hummed pleasantly, turning to look at him with a relaxed hand on the hip. "Unless you would like to offer me something better and I just happen to remain technically enrolled in this pathetic place desperate to steal the talent of the young and break the spirits of children,"

       He opened his mouth, the feathery pleasant way I said the unmatching words dealing extra damage. I was willing to risk my life and my noble status, there truly wasn't anything he could offer me that he would want to offer. But there was one thing I was interested in. One thing he wouldn't offer without such high stakes. I was willing to bet my country and those allied to it. And I was going to get it or he would lose the best thing that the Seven Kingdoms has against the Empire.