Chapter 26

My fist froze as I paused staring at her door, the sound having been soft but unmistakable. She was crying. Frowning I glanced at the end of the hall and sighed. She had lasted a whole week, I had thought she wouldn't break. Sighing as I put my forehead to the door, wishing nothing more than to leave her be knowing just how hard it is, I worked up the heart to knock.

        Faltering before I could do it I crossed my arms and started to softly pace in front of the door. I could lie, I mean, I was pretty good at that, I grew up with a brother, of course I was good at that, but was I good enough to fool a teacher? Would they even care? Was she willing to take recovery classes for the momentary relief?

          This is the worst. It's one thing to hear someone you don't know crying but your friend? I can't just let her do that alone. I mean, even I clung to a stranger I haven't seen since. It just helps.

         Huffing I stopped and brought my arm up again. Okay, I can do this, don't let her cry alone. But what if she's embarrassed? What if crying is different for her? What if I cross a line? Oh, stars. What do I do? I can't just waste time thinking about it, I have to get to class too.

         "What are you?" Alex asked rounding the corner as I let out a breath of relief and dropped my arms to my knees.

            "She's crying, I don't know- I don't know what to do," I sighed pulling my brows together and looking up at him. He paused in his approach for a second before nodding and stopping beside me. Knocking he used his other hand to ruffle my hair.

            "Ari, wanna get some breakfast before class?" He hummed causal but a little softer than usual. With a crash and loud pounding footsteps, the door was ripped open by a bright orange girl- whose eyes didn't look much different. Okay, I get serious situation but that's not fair. I cry for five minutes and my eyes are red for three days or I look like I've been hit in the eye. She looks the same.

          "I- uh, yeah, let's get, let's get food," She gave a weak smile, playing it off like nothing happened, opening my mouth to make sure she was okay Alex ruffled my hair again, harder this time.

         "Want to us to wait while you get ready or do you want us to meet you there?" He smiled, she cleared her throat and leaned again her door frame, with a wee bit of difficulty.

        "I'll, I'll see you there," She shrugged stiffly, very obviously not being herself. I think she may be attempted to act like Adrain. Stars, she's bad at lying. My attention was diverting as the large boy steered me down the hall by quite literally picking me up, tucking me under his arm he grabbed my bag just before it fell.

          "Why are we leaving? What if she cries again? She didn't say she was alright-"

          "Lilith, if she had been the one to find you crying how would you have felt if she did everything you were thinking of doing?" Opening my mouth I closed it and puffed up my cheeks as I gave a heavy exhale. "Mhmm, no one likes it when someone walks in on them while they're crying. Especially when it's pointed out. I'm not saying you shouldn't ask how someone is but it feels better when you're asked subtly right?"

           "I... I guess?" I tried, no memory coming to mind about a gentle asking. What's wrong? Hey, stop, tell me what's wrong. I can't fix anything if you don't tell me, dear. You- what are you doing? Is it nice when they ask in a softer tone? Isn't that kinda slow?

             "You're making a face, do you have a question?" He asked looking down at me while I went to ask it but paused. Is that insensitive? I feel like that's insensitive. "No question is a bad question,"

            "... Isn't that slow? Being nice about it? Isn't it just faster to ask and answer?" I asked meeting his gaze. He stared for a long second, brows furrowing ever so slightly and lips pulling down. Okay, there is a bad question.

            "It's not about speed, Lilith, it's about- how should I explain this? Hmm, okay, let's say you can skim four books in a day is it better than thoroughly reading through two?"

            "What? No, what's the point of reading it if you're just gonna skim it?" I said immediately, the thought ridiculous.

            "That's how friendships work, it's better to thoroughly read through every situation so you properly understand rather than breeze through it, do you get it?" Humming to myself while I thought over his analogy I slowly nodded. "But, if you understand someone well enough and they respond best to blunt, be blunt,"

          "That was aimed at me,"

          "That was aimed at you,"

           "Wow, you have an off-switch," Looking up I found Adrain, shockingly, at the table. His sentence processing and leaving me to blink in surprise. "You aren't even aware of it are you?" he raised his brows.

          "I don't know what you're talking about," I said honestly as Alex adjusted me and put me back to my feet. With a hum, he went to get food leaving me with Adrain who gave a short disbelieving laugh.

            "Serious serious?" He asked in amazement, my brows pulling together as I looked him up and down. "Wow, alright, well I'm not going to say anything just in case it doesn't work if you're aware,"

          "I- what? Hold on, tell me what you mean. An off-switch? I don't understand,"

           "Oh, it's definitely an off-switch,"