Suprise Epilogue

A/N: Don't mind me just slapping this here 4+ years after the book is finished.

See, this 'epilogue' is actually a little flashback treat that I originally posted on Patreon, but deemed it necessary enough for my future stories to be something that you all needed to know... and didn't just slap it in as a prologue for many different reasons.

Let's just pretend this isn't the most random placement. Sometimes I just need you guys to know things and 13 year old me didn't plan this far in advance🥴

So enjoy this scene of Khloe's life completely falling into shambles, and the events that lead her all the way up to chapter one.

TW: This chapter is graphic and depicts scenes of death.

Khloe's POV:

The day finally came. The one my mother and sister had been dreading for months. The one I wasn't supposed to know too much detail about.

Dad did say that it would be before the next bloodmoon before he took this action, so each day passed without a word from him just built more tension between him and the rest of the family for the next.

More whisperings from my parents after they'd put Anna and me to bed. More nights spent sitting next to the door to try to hear anything that we could.

It was always the same. Mom pleading for more time, or a different plan, and Dad providing reassurances and denials all at once.

Mom had started guarding Anna and I away from him, sending us to our room whenever she would hear him come in the house, just to come and hang with us in our room for a while before she tucked us in and kissed us goodnight.

He'd been coming home late ever since anyway, so it wasn't the end of the world.

This time though... I think she knew that something was wrong. She stayed in our room a tad bit longer after putting us to bed.

Next thing I knew I was being shaken awake by my dad.

"Come on. Get up you two. It's time to go."

"What?" Anna groggily asked.

Meanwhile, his presence startled me into being fully awake almost immediately, that building awkwardness between us all now settling as an uneasy pit in my stomach.

"I'm taking you guys somewhere better than here. Somewhere you guys will be safe."

I pushed myself up and turned my head, noticing that it was still dark outside.

My mother stood in the doorway, her brows forming a straight line over her eyes, chewing nervously on the nail of her pointer finger

I looked to her for any kind of further instruction, but she just turned and walked away with an agitated sigh.

So, left with just the insistence from my father to get up and get dressed, we listened.

As opposed to what I thought would happen when this day inevitably came, Dad wouldn't let us pack a bag.

He wouldn't let us take anything with us. The only one who had a bag was him and he said it was for the most basic necessities.

I couldn't grab my sketchbooks, my art supplies, any of my small money savings, not even the throw blanket that my grandma quilted me.

He said he didn't want to risk beginning anything that would make the smallest semblance of noise and wasn't willing to hear any of us out on any of it.

He told us that tonight we needed to listen to him no matter what. All of us. With no question.

It was with that tone of voice that had Anna and I immediately lowering our voices and heads, Mom still silent somewhere in the background.