Chapter 73

Nico's POV:

I stared up at the ceiling from my bed while Khloe changed into her pajamas.

We had pretty much spent the rest of the night dancing away in my room.

Khloe had improved a lot from the ball, like her confidence had boosted.

She didn't seem as nervous and impressively never stumbled unless I was the one that messed up.

Which happened more than Id care to admit.

It was kind of hard to pay attention to my own movements when Khloe was right in front of me, smiling beautifully as her fiery hair danced with us. Hearing her melodic laugh whenever I would twirl her or we would try something else.

Not to mention that I was holding myself back from completely closing the space between us literally that entire time, and trying not to think about how beautiful her lips looked.

I sighed, running my hand down my face.

She was so happy and still is now.

But I'm running out of time and need to tell her whats going to happen.

I turned my head towards the closet as she walked out of it, wearing one of my T-shirts and a pair of grey sweatpants that I had gotten her.

Both of us smiled as our eyes met.

The exchange caused my chest to tighten yet again.

I never wanted to ruin the happiness that took this long to show.

I turned my body towards her as she hopped up onto the bed, pulling the blankets over her body as she scooted towards me.

She laid her head on the pillow about a foot away from mine, that small smile still on her face.

God dammit.

I bit the inside of my lip before I reluctantly spoke up.

"Do you remember what the slave boy that brought you up here the day you came home from the clinic looked like?" I asked.

She seemed confused by my sudden question.

"Yea his name is Marcus," She began, sounding as if she really fonded this boy, " He's tall, well, taller than me, with blonde hair and blue eyes."

"You know his name?" I questioned.

Slaves never usually shared their names, especially with pets.

"Mhm. We met at the Ball. He was my first dance and I guess we just became friends from there."

My eyes glanced to the side.

Good enough friends for him to risk breaking the rules for her...

Although I was happy that despite her current status, Khloe still managed to find herself some friends, I felt guilty about what had happened to him.

"Why do you ask?" She questioned.

I shrugged, "Just curious I guess," I lied.

It would be better if she didn't know.

I'll tell her once I return the favor.

Luckily she didn't press that subject any further

I was initially planning on just hopping from the slave boy subject straight to the Layla subject, but now that that time was here, the words didn't want to leave my mouth.

And apparently, I couldn't even stand looking at her.

"Nico, are you okay?" She asked.

That goddammed ache in my chest would not go away.