Chapter 40

Khloe's POV:

The blood collection was slowly coming to an end, yet it couldn't seem to come fast enough.

I never remembered the collection ever taking this long, then again I guess I've never had to stay the whole time.

I held my arms against my stomach as it grumbled in hunger.

Although Nico and Xander received a lunch, us pets weren't as lucky. The small portion Nico was able to give me wasn't nearly enough to tide me over.

And poor Doe hasn't had anything.

Hungry and tired, I leaned back against Nico's chest, noticing how his grip tightened on me for a moment as I did.

Waking up as early as I did this morning was never easy for me.

As for Nico and Xander, I could tell that they were bored out of their minds.

No one had dared try to defy against the rules since Xander took care of the man that did, and as a result, the brothers had nothing to do but watch and wait.

I sighed, debating if I should just shut my eyes for a moment and rest.

I really wanted to, but it probably wasn't the best Idea to be doing something like that at a time like this.

Not to mention that it wasn't a very pet like thing to do.

So I just kept my eyes open and towards the sky, not really caring that the fabric covering my nose and mouth slowly slipped off as I did.

I could just bare with that cold for a little bit.

"Ooh, Nico you're up," Xander said from beside us.

Both of us turned towards him.

"What?"

We followed his gesture as he pointed into the line.

There was a boy standing in the line, his eyes wide as he looked at us.

No, not us, He was looking at me.

My eyes widened as I realized this, now feeling a bit nervous.

"Nah, you can take him if you want," Nico said back to his brother.

I vaguely heard Xander quietly rejoice.

The boy was close enough that I could examine his features, and it took a moment before I realized that I vaguely remembered them.

My stomach turned once I fully realized who was looking at me.

I've gone through the whole day without someone I've recognized see me, but I guess my luck couldn't stay like that forever.

And of course, the one that did recognize me was Samuel, the boy who was my best friend before my family decided to leave the city.

I quickly moved the collar of my shirt to cover my face once more, turning my head to the side as my heart began racing.

Why did it have to be him? He probably thought I was dead. It was probably better that he thought I was dead instead of him knowing that I had become a pet!