Chapter 53

Khloe's POV:

Nico and I walked side by side down the long hallway leading to the ballroom that I didn't even know existed.

No leash, no collar. We just walked together with some more vampires that were making their way to the ball.

Nico's black suit was differing from all the other varying shades of navy and grey that all of the other vampires were wearing.

And well, as far as I had seen so far, I was very overdressed as a pet.

I inched closer to Nico as we walked, trying to ignore the other glances from both Vampires and pets.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about tonight. I already knew that I couldn't just hang out near Nico all night and that I was going to have to socialize with the other pets and slaves.

Not to mention that I was going to have to dance with them.

What if none of them ask me to dance?

My focus was shifted as soon as we entered the ballroom, pausing as I took it all in.

More vampires and people than I could count were spread around the large room.

My senses were overloaded with a variety of scents, plus the many conversations happening within that room.

I quickly notices a small band of humans playing calm, classical music towards the front of the room.

As I had suspected, the pets and slaves were all gathered in the back corner, whereas the vampires had the rest of the room.

And still, I was the most over-dressed pet there.

Well, at least the pets still had a large table of food in our corner.

I barely had time to glance at the obvious blood slaves in the opposite corner before Nico had pulled me off to the side.

I met his eyes as he took hold of my shoulders.

"Okay, this ball is going to end at midnight and is going to have one slow dance every hour. You'll be safe tonight, but please don't stray too far away from the other pets. And if you need me for anything or if anything happens to you that you don't like, just say my name and ill hear you and be there."

I was surprised by his sudden concern, but thankful none the less.

It actually eased my nerves a small bit.

"Okay," I responded quietly.

"Aye Nico!"

We both turned at the sound of Xander's voice, Nico removing his hands from my shoulder.

He strut right over to us, slapping a hand onto Nico's shoulder.

"You made it! I was beginning to lose faith in you, dude." He began, "We've been waiting forever."

Nico glanced around behind him, like he was looking for Layla.

"The ball only started like 15 minutes ago, h-"

Xander quickly cut him off, grabbing the collar of his shirt and pulling him away towards the crowd, "That's not important, now hurry up, we're gonna get you drunk!"

"Yea, that's not happening," He replied flatly.

Nico, being obviously annoyed, did little to retaliate against his brother's force, probably knowing that it would just be easier to give him what he wants. However, he did send me one last reassuring nod before he disappeared into the crowd of vampires.