Chapter 36

Khloe's POV:

There was a noticeable lack of pets at the dinner table.

I tried not to think about it too much until I finished my food.

Nico told me that I had to eat to help me feel better faster, so I wanted to hurry and do so before the reality of what happened to all of them could hit me.

So many of them were gone, just overnight. Like a massacre.

And no one but me seemed to be too bothered about that.

Sometimes I forget that this was a common occurrence for every vampire in here.

As far as I know, all of the pets that were here yesterday morning will be replaced with new ones by tomorrow.

"So I guess 8 was too many for Doe to survive then?" Nico asked the vampire to his right.

I turned my head a bit at the sound of her name.

She wasn't with Xander, which pretty much meant only one thing.

I felt my shoulders slump as I thought this over, the confirmation that she was gone sinking in.

Even though we didn't really know each other, I just felt upset over the fact that she was gone.

"Hm?" Xander leaned away from his food, raising a brow, "What are you talking about?" he asked with his mouth half full.

Nico just looked at him for a moment, trying to decide whether he was being serious or not.

"Your pet, Xander. She's not here so I'm assuming she's dead." He said casually.

Xander blinked at him for a moment before swallowing the food in his mouth.

"Oh... no, she's fine."He replied normally before taking another bite of his food.

Both me and Nico were surprised to hear him say that.

"Define 'Fine'," Nico told him.

Xander's eyes shifted to the side, "She's uh... alive?" Is all he said.

Ok, he was definitely acting weird.

"Why did that sound like more of a question than an answer?"

"I don't know! Why am I being questioned all of the sudden?!" He snapped, making me flinch back against Nico.

He didn't even bat an eye at Xander's unusual outburst, but his thumb did lightly rub soothingly against my leg once I flinched.

"Well, someones hostile," he responded, calmly taking a sip from his glass.

Xander sighed as he leaned forward, setting his elbows on the table. Both of his hands ran through his hair before he just rested his head on his hands.

"I'm stressed as shit dude," he said quietly.

I had to think over his words for a second.

Wasnt he the one that said that living without a care in the world was easier than stressing?

Nico's brows rose before a very amused smirk peaked on his face.

"Wow really? You stressed? That's unheard of." He spoke with a mix of amusement and sarcasm that I had never seen from him before, "What on earth could be stressing out the champion of not giving a shit?"

It was obvious that he liked seeing Xander like this.

And to be honest, so did I.

Xander took another deep breath before looking at Nico, his confident expression being nowhere in sight.